- Brown stripe cotton fabric, 3/8 yd.
- Wool felt scraps: red; light brown; dark brown
- Buttons: red, 3/4”, three; white, 3/4”, two; black, 1/2”, two
- Green stripe ribbon, 5/8”, 1 yd.
- Gold jingle bell, 1”
- Any color chenille stem, 12” long
- Black perle cotton, #8
- Sewing thread: brown; white
- Fiberfill stuffing
- Iron and pressing board
- 1. From brown stripe fabric, cut: two 6-1/2”x9-1/2” rectangles for body, rounding top corners with a 5” circle template; four 2”x6-1/2” strips for arms, trimming top corner of strips on a 45° angle; four 3”x7-1/2” strips for legs, matching stripe on fabric as desired.
- 2. Sew body rectangles together, leaving bottom edge open. Turn right side out. Stuff body firmly. Hand sew opening closed.
- 3. Use white thread to sew black buttons on top of white buttons on body close to center top of head. (Note: Knot thread ends in area that will be covered by muzzle.)
- 4. Cut a 5” circle from light brown felt for muzzle. Hand sew a large basting stitch around circle close to edge. Place stuffing inside circle. Pull stitches tightly to gather and knot thread. Add more stuffing inside circle if needed. Use white thread to sew red button to center of muzzle on flat side. Whip stitch muzzle to body under eyes.
- 5. Sew arm strips together in pairs, leaving angled edge open. Turn right side out. Stuff arms firmly. Hand sew angled openings closed. For hooves, cut two 2-1/4” squares from dark brown felt. Fold squares in half and sew 1/4” from short sides. Insert ends of arms into hooves. Use one strand of perle cotton to blanket stitch.
- 6. Sew leg strips together in pairs, leaving short edges at top open. Turn right side out. Stuff legs firmly. Hand sew openings closed. To make hooves, cut two 3-1/4” squares from dark brown felt. Fold squares in half and sew 1/4” from short sides. Insert ends of legs into hooves. Blanket stitch around top edges of hooves. Hand sew top of legs to bottom of body at sides.
- 7. Print and cut out pattern. Cut four antlers from red felt. Sew antlers together in pairs 1/8” from edges, leaving bottom edges open. Stuff points of antlers. Cut chenille stem in half and bend pieces in half. Insert bent chenille stems through center of antlers. Stitch across bottom of antlers. Sew red buttons to bottom of antlers on back side of head at top.
- 8. Cut two 2-1/2” circles from light brown felt for ears. Fold circles in half and stitch a 1” length along rounded edge to top sides of head.
- 9. Wrap ribbon around body under muzzle and tie into bow on right side. Use white thread to sew jingle bell to bow.
by Mary Ayres