Sisters Mini Quilt
- Avatrex Quilt Attitude Inkjet Film, 8-1/2”x11”
- Fabrics: white or cream, 1/4 yd; light purple, 1/8 yd.; medium green, 1/8 yd.; dark purple, 1/2 yd.; backing of choice, 1/2 yd.
- Lightweight low-loft batting, 18”x20”
- Matching threads
- Digital image of choice, 8”x10”
rotary cutter, straight pins, iron and pressing surface, pressing cloth
- Self-healing cutting mat, 18”x24”
- Acrylic rulers: 12-1/2” square, 6”x24”
- Sewing machine with new 70/10 or 80/12 needle and optional 1/4” quilting foot
- Computer with inkjet printer
- Fusible webbing, light or sew-in weight, 8-1/2”x11
- 1. Fabric reference is white (A), light purple (B), medium green (C), dark purple (D), and backing (E).
- 1. Following manufacturer’s instructions, print mirror image on film at photo-quality setting. Let ink dry completely, at least three hours. (Note: For best results, print photo on glossy side of film sheet at “photo” quality setting and “glossy photo paper” media setting. Handle printed film by edges only, and wait to remove backing sheet to reduce edge curling.)
- 2. Cut 8-1/2”x11” panels of Fabric A and fusible webbing using 12-1/2” square ruler and rotary cutter on cutting mat.
- 3. Following manufacturer’s instructions, attach fusible webbing to right side of Fabric A. Position film on panel with printed side facing webbing. Cover with pressing cloth. Press, sliding iron slowly and consistently with light even pressure for 30-60 seconds until all areas have been covered. Remove cloth, peel away backing, and let cool. Trim film and fabric to 8-1/2”x10-1/2”, keeping image centered and leaving 1/4” film all around for seam allowance. Set aside.
- 4. Use rotary cutter and 6”x24” ruler on cutting mat to cut fabric strips. Cut one 1-1/2”x44” strip from Fabric B; cut strip into two 8” and two 12” lengths. Cut Fabric C into 1”x44” and 1”x10” strips; cut strips into two 10” and two 13” lengths. Cut Fabric D into two 2-1/2”x44” strips for binding and two 3”x44” strips; cut 3”-wide strips into two 11” and two 18” lengths. Set binding strips aside.
- 5. Referring to Layout Diagram, sew B strips to center panel with 1/4” seams. Sew shorter strips to top and bottom, then longer strips to sides; press. Repeat with C strips and D strips.
- 6. Cut 18”x20” backing panel from Fabric E with rotary cutter, 6”x24” ruler, and cutting mat. Layer backing, batting, and quilt top on work surface. Hand or machine quilt as desired.
- 7. Sew short ends of binding strips together. Fold strip in half lengthwise with wrong sides together; press. Sew binding to quilt top.
- 1. To make mini quilt washable, create a central fabric panel that can be attached with buttons or hook and loop tape. The inkjet-printed panel cannot be washed.
for Craft Marketing Connections