Frosty Forest Candle & Tag Card
sizes: candle, 3”x6”; tag card, 4”x5”
- Sage green candle, 3”x6”
- Cardstock: sage green; multi-green stripe; multi-green dot
- White tissue paper
- Sheer fuchsia ribbon
- Winter Forest (#K2301) stamp (Safire Designs)
- Ink pads: black dye; Big & Bossy Embossing (Ranger)
- Embossing powders: gold; multi-green glitter; Black Diamond (Ranger)
- Decorating chalks
- Watercolor paints: WaterColors Cake Set (Loew Cornell); Pearl Ex Watercolor CD (Jacquard Products)
- Stickles Glitter Glue (Ranger): Diamond; Baby Blue
- Heat tool
- Bone folder
- Small stipple brush
- Deckle-edge scissors
- Hole punch
- Waxed paper
- Aleene’s Tacky Glue (Duncan)
- 1. Designer recommends practicing tissue technique on inexpensive candle first to get feel for proper heating level before attempting actual project.
- 1. Use black ink to stamp three forest scenes on tissue paper. Using photos as a guide, watercolor all images, being careful not to over wet tissue or it will tear. Lift tissue occasionally to prevent it sticking to work surface; let dry. Apply Baby Blue glitter glue to sky areas; let dry. Cut out images.
- 2. Cut two pieces of waxed paper to fit around center design area of candle with a few inches of overlap, leaving top and bottom edges uncovered.
- 3. Place first image onto candle, smoothing out creases so it lays flat. Place a piece of waxed paper around candle, over image, and hold firmly by excess waxed paper at opposite side.
- 4. Holding heat tool 4” to 6” from candle, begin heating image using quick, circular motions. Keep heat on image for only a few seconds at a time, moving tool as soon as one area of waxed paper turns clear. Give wax a chance to cool, then return to heat another area.
- 5. Continue adding stamped images to candle, changing waxed paper after first two images. When all images are applied to candle, apply Diamond glitter glue to all tree and ground snow areas; let dry. Tie ribbon around base.
- Tag Card
- 1. Stamp forest scene on sage cardstock and sprinkle with black embossing powder; heat set. Trim image to 3-1/2”x4-1/4”.
- 2. Press front edges of card against embossing pad, creating 1/4”-wide border. Heat emboss with green glitter powder. Emboss edges with thinner gold border, letting some green show.
- 3. Watercolor image as shown, painting tree and ground green and white; let dry. Randomly apply second coat of white to create shading in snow; let dry. Highlight tree and ground with crystal glitter glue; let dry.
- 4. Stipple light blue chalk into sky area, adding darker blue near bottom of sky.
- 5. Cut patterned papers to 4”x5”. Completely cover back of one piece with thin layer of Tacky Glue and adhere to second piece. Using bone folder on one side like a squeegee, burnish paper from center out toward edges until papers lay completely flat and glue seals edges. Set aside to dry for five minutes.
- 6. Adhere stamped panel to larger card. Clip top corners to create tag shape and trim bottom edge with deckle scissors. Punch two holes at top and thread ribbon twice through openings.
by Kathy Post for Safire Designs