Bird Cage Hanging
A lifelike bird is airbrushed onto this birch wood plaque using Testors EZ Airbrush System and Paints. Create the metal bird cage using recycled items and embellish as desired. Hang this in your patio area or in a screened-in porch to enjoy throughout the year.
- Birch plaque, 1-1/2” thickness, 8” diameter
- Recycled foil pan cover
- Silver beads, 3mm, five
- Silver wire, 18-gauge
scissors, gloves, rags, drill, wire cutters, ruler, painter’s tape, scrap paper, pencil, black marker, 6” dinner plate
- Testors Aztek Broad Stroke EZ Airbrush System Set and Airbrushable Acrylic Paints: Opaque Blue (9441), Opaque White (9440), Transparent Daisy (9480)
- Etching tool
- Wavy clay blade
- Plaid FolkArt Birds Small Painting Stencil (30607)
- Testors: CreateFX Gray Enamel Stain (79300), Glosscote Spray Sealer (1261T)
- Adhesives: Eclectic Products E6000 Industrial Strength Adhesive, 3M Scotch Spray Mount Repositionable Adhesive
- 1. Size is 8” diameter.
- Bird Cage Hanging
- 1. Apply stain to plaque with rag as desired. Drill small hole in top of plaque; screw in eyehook.
- 2. Lay foil cover on soft surface. Place 6” round template (like dinner plate) on cover, with template hanging over ridged edge by 1/8”. Trace around template with etching tool; cut out using scissors. Measure 1-1/2” in from both ridged edges and opposite edge. Mark and slice across circle to make two cage shapes, one with flat bottom edge.
- 3. Place cage top over wavy blade and create vertical ridges using etching tool.
- 4. Measure and cut five 1/8”x5” strips of foil from cover.
- 5. Hang plaque to find center and mark with pencil. Tape cage top and bottom to plaque as shown. Arrange metal strips as desired; gently tape to cage top and bottom. Remove cage from plaque. Adhere strips in place on wrong side of cage using heavy-duty adhesive; let dry.
- 6. Spray stencil with adhesive. Position stencil on plaque; press edges securely in place. Block off remaining surface with scrap paper.
- 7. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to airbrush bottom of bird Opaque White, center of bird Transparent Daisy, and top of bird Opaque Blue. Using marker, color in feet, beak, and eye and add details on wings using black marker. Let dry. Spray with sealer. Let dry. See Photos 1-3. (see photos)
- 8. Adhere birdcage to plaque over bird design using heavy-duty adhesive.
- 9. Cut three leaf shapes from scrap foil. Outline and detail leaves with etching tool; adhere to top of cage. Adhere silver beads to bottom of cage.
- 10. Cut two 3” lengths of wire; wrap around pencil to form “S” shapes. Adhere to bottom of cage. Let dry.
by Gloria Uhler, the Domestic Diva for Testors (www.testors.com)