Chickie Goodie Jars
For a great Easter or spring surprise, paint these adorable jars and fill with a treat to gift to family and friends.
- Glass jars, three
- Wooden knobs: one 1/2", two 1"
- Wooden tags, two 1-1/4"x2-1/2"
- Metal rustic tag, 3-1/4"
- Dark brown ribbon, 1-1/2"-wide, three 8" lengths
- Silk ribbon, 1/8"-wide, 6" lengths: lavender, mint, teal
masking tape, sanding block, black marker, toothpick, vinegar, paper towel
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Indian Turquoise, Light Buttermilk, Purple Cow, Sea Breeze, Burnt Orange, Marigold, Citron Green, Milk Chocolate, Lamp Black, Burnt Umber
- DecoArt Americana Multi-Purpose Sealer
- DecoArt Weathered Wood Crackling Medium
- Dark brown inkpad
- Loew-Cornell Paintbrushes: 1" Glaze, 1/2" and 3/4" Shader, Liner
- Glue gun and sticks
- 1. Remove labels from jars and wash with soapy water. Dry completely. Wipe entire outside surface of each jar and lid with vinegar water to remove oils.
- 2. Print out patterns. Copy patterns onto tracing paper and cut out.
- 3. Use Glaze brush to apply sealer on outside of jars and lids; let dry.
- 4. Basecoat one jar each Purple Cow, Citron Green, and Indian Turquoise.
- 5. Transfer square outline onto each jar.
- 6. Paint each square with one light coat of Weathered Wood; allow to dry.
- 7. Paint each square Light Buttermilk. Let dry. Use liner brush to outline each square with squiggly lines of Milk Chocolate.
- 8. Transfer main pattern lines onto each square; shade left and lower side of each main outline Milk Chocolate.
- 9. Paint as follows: for Papa Bird: body Indian Turquoise, wing Sea Breeze, tie Burnt Orange, beak and legs Marigold; for Mama Bird: body Purple Cow, wing and breast Sea Breeze, shaded with Indian Turquoise, hat Burnt Orange, flower, beak, and legs Marigold; for Baby Bird: body Citron Green, beak and legs Marigold. Use toothpick to dot eyes Lamp Black.
- 10. Paint each tag Burnt Umber. Let dry. Tape off top 3/4" of small tags and top 1-1/2" of large tag. Paint bottom of tags Light Buttermilk. Let dry and remove tape; sand edges.
- 11. Use permanent pen to outline bottom of tag and write contents (Butter Rum Cashews, Kettle Nuts, Chocolate Mocha Dusted Almonds).
- 12. Sand edges of lids. Ink lids with dark brown inkpad. Paint all knobs Indian Turquoise. Sand edges of knobs and ink with dark brown inkpad.
- 13. Attach knobs on lids with glue gun.
- 14. Brush sealer onto outside of jars and lids/knobs. Use black marker to outline details.
- 15. Tie small bows and glue on top of square on each tag. Thread ribbons through tags to hang. Tie brown ribbon around neck of each jar. Fill jars with nut goodies.
by Meggan Maravich