- Cotton fabrics: medium blue (top of center panel), 3/8 yd.; red (bottom of center panel), 3/8 yd.; natural linen (inside border), 1/8 yd.; dk. blue plaid (outside border and binding), 1 yd.; red/white strips (hat and flag), 3/8 yd.; dk. blue (hat band and square on flag), scrap; quilt back, 1/2 yd.
- Wool felt: red; white; bright blue; black; tan
- Buttons: dk. blue: 3/4”, three; 7/8”, four; white, 1/4”
- Perle cotton, #8: white; black
- Warm & Natural needled cotton batting (The Warm Co.)
- Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive (Beacon Adhesives)
- Sewing thread
- Needles: sewing; embroidery
- Rotary cutter and cutting mat
- Lucite ruler
- Iron and pressing board
- Sewing machine and matching threads
- 1. Use cutting chart to cut fabrics as indicated.
- 2. Sew 10-1/2” sides of medium blue and red rectangles together to make center panel. Sew long 1-1/2” linen strips to long sides of center panel. Sew short 1-1/2” linen strips to short sides of center panel. Sew long 2-1/2” plaid strips to long sides of linen border. Sew short 2-1/2” plaid strips to short sides of linen border. Fabric piecing for quilt top is complete.
- 3. Print and cut out patterns. Cut hat in one piece and flag from red strips fabric. Cut hat band and square from dk. blue fabric. Cut the following stars from wool felt; three red; three blue; one white. Cut bird from black felt, cutting body and wings separately. Pin hat, stars, bird, and flag appliqué pieces to center panel, using photo as guide. Cut long 1/4”-wide strips from tan fabric. Pin or glue strips between star and hat for stems and to flag for pole.
- 4. Sew small running stitch 1/8” from edges of appliqué pieces, and through center of stems and flag pole with perle cotton. Use white perle cotton to straight stitch five stars evenly spaced on hat band and one star on flag. Use black perle cotton to straight stitch bird’s legs.
- 5. Cut pieces from batting and backing fabric 1” larger than quilt on all sides. Sandwich batting between quilt back and front with right sides facing out.
- 6. Sew running stitch through center of linen border to quilt, attaching safety pins to quilt to hold layers while working. Trim batting and backing even with quilt top.
- 7. To bind long edges of quilt, cut two 2” strips diagonally from plaid fabric to same length as quilt sides. Sew strips to front of quilt 1/2” from raw edges with right sides facing. Fold strips over to back side and turn edges under 1/2”. Hand sew turned edges to back of quilt.
- 8. To bind short edges of quilt, cut two 2” strips diagonally from plaid fabric to same length as quilt sides plus 1”. Sew strips to quilt the same as long sides, leaving 1/2” extending at ends. Turn ends inside binding before hand sewing.
- 9. Use black perle cotton to sew large blue buttons to center of red and white stars. Sew smaller blue buttons to center of blue stars, and white button to bird for eye. Sew buttons through all layers, knotting thread ends on back side of quilt.
- 1. Tea dye fabrics and wool felt as needed to tone down colors if they are too bright. Sew all seams with right sides together, using a 1/4” seam allowance, pinning and pressing as needed. Use one strand of perle cotton for all running stitches – white for bird and black for everything else). Dab glue lightly under wool felt pieces to secure them to quilt top temporarily in place of pins if desired.
by Mary Ayres