- Wooden birdhouse
- Mosaic Mercantile Crafter’s Cut Blue/Green Brushstrokes and Solids Pre-Cut Tiles, 2 lbs.; Horizon Vitreous Glass Classic 3/4” Square Tiles, 1 lb.; Landscape Classic 3/8” Square Tiles, 1/2 lb.
- Mosaic Mercantile Snow White Sanded Grout, 1 lb.
rubber gloves, toothpick, disposable bowl, soft cloth, paintbrush, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- Mosaic Mercantile: Grout/Adhesive Applicator Set (includes Notched Trowel, Spreader, Grout Sponge, Craft Sticks), Sealer for Tile and Grout, Tile Adhesive
- 1. When planning design, use pre-cut tiles for sides of birdhouse, 3/4” square tiles for roof, and 3/8” square tiles for trim. Lay out tiles on different birdhouse surfaces before applying adhesive to map out design and spacing. Situate tiles 1/8” apart (for grout lines). Wearing gloves and beginning on trim areas, apply layer of adhesive using craft stick or trowel for even coverage. Working in small sections at a time, press tiles onto surfaces, leaving 1/8” space between each tile. On birdhouse sides and roof, adhere perimeter first and then fill in center sections. Let adhesive set for six hours. See Photo 1 and Photo 2. (see photos)
- 2. Use craft stick to scrape and clean any dirt or debris from tiles or grout lines. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to mix Snow White grout in bowl. Apply grout to birdhouse using spreader. Work grout into crevices until smooth and level with tile surfaces. See Photo 3. (see photos)
- 3. After grout has set for 20-30 minutes, remove excess grout by wiping surfaces in circular motion using damp sponge. Rinse and squeeze out sponge frequently. When grout is dry to touch, buff away powder residue using soft cloth. Remove any dried grout spots from tiles using craft stick or toothpick. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to allow grout to cure.
- 4. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to apply thin layer of sealer to grout lines using foam brush, working quickly and evenly. Remove sealer from tile surfaces immediately using soft cloth. Let sealer set completely. See Photo 4. Situate birdhouse outdoors under covered area and avoid exposure to extreme weather conditions. (see photos)
by Rebecca Nicolson for Mosaic Mercantile