Leaf Candle Mat
Set the mood for a nice summer evening on your patio with the relaxing colors of nature on this candle mat.
- Wool felt: 1/2 yd. each, tan, sage green; scraps (eight total), yellow, green, ivory, gold, blue
- Decadent Fibers Decadent Dots Hand-dyed Wool Roving Kit, Lakeside
- Embroidery floss: ivory; olive green, 2 skeins
- Embroidery needle
- Straight pins
- 1. Size is 16-1/2" diameter.
- 1. Use three strands of floss for all embroidery.
- Leaf Candle Mat
- 1. Print and cut out pattern. Cut mat shape from tan felt (top) and green felt (bottom). Cut leaf from each of the scrap felt pieces. Pin leaves to mat, following pattern.
- 2. Use green floss to stem stitch around leaves close to edges.
- 3. Transfer swirls to mat; use green floss to stem stitch.
- 4. Transfer veins to leaves. Work wool roving into veins on leaves, following General Felting Instructions, using a different color roving for each leaf.
- 5. Stack tan and green matt shapes together with right sides facing out. Use ivory floss to single feather stitch around mat close to edges, and make a French knot at each pointed tip, wrapping floss around needle three times for each knot.
- General Needle Felting Instructions
- 1. Work wool roving into felt on top of sponge that comes with kit. To do this, twist wool strands so edges are smooth, and place on felt leaves to form vein lines, punching with needle tool (that comes with kit) until shape lies flat.
by Mary Ayres