Knit Baby Pullover Sweater
size to fit chest measurement: 6 (12-18-24) mos: 17 (18-19-21)” finished chest size: 21 (22-23-1/2-25)”
- Bernat Green Dippity Dots Yarn (one ball for 6 mos.; two balls for 12-18-24 mos.)
alt = alternate
beg = beginning
cont = continue
dec = decrease
inc = increase
k = knit
p = purl
rem = remaining
rep = repeat
RS = right side
st(s) = stitch(es)
WS = wrong side
ruler, safety pin
- Knitting needles, sizes: US 7, US 8
- Stitch holder
- Stitch markers, two
- 1. 19 sts and 24 rows = 4” with larger needles in stocking stitch.
- 2. (Note: The instructions are written for smallest size. If changes are necessary for larger sizes the instructions will be written as ( ).)
- 1. **With smaller needles, cast on 46 (47-51-53) sts.
- 2. K 3 rows, noting 1st row is WS and inc 2 (3-3-3) sts evenly across last row. 48 (50-54-56) sts.
- 3. Change to larger needles and proceed in stocking st** until work from beg measures 10 (11-1/2-12-1/2-13-3/4)” ending with p row.
- 1. Cast off 16 sts beg next 2 rows. Leave rem 16 (18-22-24) sts on st holder.
- 1. Work from ** to ** as for Back until work from beg measures 5-1/2 (6-1/2-7-7-3/4)” ending with p row.
- Divide for Front Opening
- 1. Next row: (RS). K24 (25-27-28). Turn. Leave rem sts on spare needle.
- 2. Next row: K2. P to end of row.
- 3. Next row: K. Rep last 2 rows for 2-1/4 (2-3/4-3-1/4-3-3/4)” ending with WS row.
- Shape Neck Edge of Right Side
- 1. Row 1: (RS). K to last 2 (3-5-6) sts (neck edge). Turn. Leave rem sts on safety pin.
- 2. Dec 1 st at neck edge on next 3 rows, then every following alt row 3 times. 16 sts.
- 3. Work even until work measures same length as Back before shoulder. Cast off.
- 4. With RS facing, join yarn to rem sts on spare needle. Work as given for Right Side flipping shaping in mirror image.
- 1. With smaller needles, cast on 28 (28-30-34) sts.
- 2. K 3 rows, noting 1st row is WS and inc 2 sts evenly across last row. 30 (30-32-36) sts.
- 3. Change to larger needles and proceed in stocking st, inc 1 st each end of needle on next and every following 6th (8th-10th-10th) rows to 40 (40-42-44) sts.
- 4. Cont even until work from beg measures 5-1/2 (6-7-1/2-8)” ending with WS row. Cast off.
- 1. Sew shoulder seams. Place markers 4 (4-4-1/4-4-1/2)” down from shoulders on Front and Back. Sew sleeves between markers. Sew side and sleeve seams.
- Neck Band
- 1. With RS facing and smaller needles, pick up and knit 47 (50-55-63) sts around neck edge. K 2 rows. Cast off knitwise (WS).
by Vickie Howell for Bernat Yarns