Faux Wood Mirror
- Framed mirror, 16”x16”
- Black on Black Foam Board (Elmer’s), 1/2” thick, 20”x30”
- Color Tool Spray Paint (Design Master): Primer (optional); Black (optional); Glossy Wood Tone
- X-ACTO Designer Series (Elmer’s): Retractable #1 Knife; Self-Healing Cutting Mat, 12”x12”; Metal Ruler
- CraftBond Ultra Stix All Glue (Elmer’s)
- 1. If frame is black, proceed to Step 2. Since frame will show from sides, paint frame black as follows: Lightly sand frame to create “tooth” on the surface. Wipe off with paper towel. To protect mirror, use tape to cover mirror area with newspapers. In a well-ventilated area, spray frame with primer, let dry. Spray frame black, let dry.
- 2. Use X-Acto knife and metal ruler on self-healing cutting mat to cut 20” square from Foam Board. (Hint: Score lightly first and then press more firmly to cut deeper, with several passes of the knife. Replace blades often.) Mark 4” in on sides and 3” in on top and bottom of Foam Board to create a 12”x14” opening. Use X-Acto knife and metal ruler on cutting mat to cut out opening.
- 3. (Note: Practice Steps 3 and 4 on center opening that was removed from frame, before working directly on frame.) In a well-ventilated area, hold frame up-right and spray front with Glossy Wood Tone. (Avoid painting sides or insides of opening.) In some places, hold can close to frame to intentionally create puddles, letting paint run down. Create light and dark areas by applying more paint and letting it run. Let dry.
- 4. Refer to photo and use pencil to sketch irregular “stripes” with pointed ends, onto Foam Board™ frame along sides, somewhat following along lines created by paint. Notice that some areas have more stripes than others to create interest.
- 5. Work carefully to prevent injury. To cut long, wedge-shaped pieces out of foam, use X-Acto knife, angled in toward opposite pencil line, to cut along sketched line, going no more than half way down into foam. Turn frame around and run knife along other pencil line to cut other side of wedge. Use point of knife to remove wedge. Brush away any Foam Board crumbs.
- 6. Use sandpaper to roughen only top surface of black-painted mirror frame in the area that will be in contact with Foam Board frame. Apply Ultra Stix All Glue to sanded area on mirror frame, flip over and press onto back side of Foam Board frame. Let dry.
for Craft Marketing Corp