Embossed Batting Mini Notebooks
- Mini composition notebooks, two
- Nature-Fil Bamboo Batting, 1/4 yd.
- Assorted vintage lace (with deep relief)
- Assorted findings (Vintaj Natural Brass Co.)
- 18kt Gold Leafing Pen (Krylon)
- Metallic cream acrylic paint
- Americana Textile Medium (DecoArt)
- Coordinating patterned papers, two to three sheets
- Brads: small glitter, three; large metal
- Metallic fiber
- Decorative-edge scissors
- Air-soluble fabric marker
- Embroidery needle
- Spray bottle
- Baking parchment paper
- Computer with printer
- Iron and pressing board
- 1. Cut a piece of batting slightly larger than size of composition book.
- 2. Mix equal parts textile medium and water. Pour mixture into spray bottle.
- 3. Cut two pieces of parchment paper slightly larger than size of batting.
- 4. Place batting onto parchment paper and mist it with diluted textile medium. Batting should be moist but not saturated.
- 5. Place length of lace onto misted batting.
- 6. Cover lace with parchment paper. Batting and lace should be sandwiched between two pieces of parchment paper. With iron set to cotton setting, press parchment paper, ironing firmly onto batting. Turn parchment/batting over and press again.
- 7. Remove parchment paper. Gently pull lace from batting to reveal an embossed lace image.
- 8. Mix equal parts paint and water. Spray mixture onto embossed batting. Let dry. Keep spraying layers of acrylic onto embossed batting until completely covered, letting each coat dry before adding the next. Let dry completely.
- 9. Use air-soluble marker to trace book onto wrong side of embossed batting. Cut along traced lines and adhere to book. Edge journal with leafing pen.
- 10. Cut a 1-1/2" square (or use paper punch) and a 1/2"-wide strip from patterned paper. Edge papers with leafing pen.
- 11. Adhere square to center of notebook. Apply metallic paint to metal finding and immediately wipe off excess with paper towel, if desired. Adhere to paper.
- 12. Attach brads and adhere metal finding to paper strip. Adhere strip to bottom of notebook.
- 1. Cover notebook with patterned paper.
- 2. Create embossed batting in same way as above. Cut a 2-1/2"x2-3/4" rectangle and edge with Leafing Pen.
- 3. Cut square from patterned paper and adhere to embossed batting with French knot at each corner.
- 4. Use photo as guide to attach finding to center with metallic thread. Attach brad to center of embellishment and adhere to notebook.
- 5. Print "notes" on computer, cut out and adhere to notebook.
by Rebekah Meier