Keepsake Baby Girl & Boy Frames
- Polyform Sculpey Pluffy Clay: White, 3 pkgs.; Blue, 1/2 pkg.; Pink, 1/2 pkg.; Sculpey Brick Silver Clay
- Laser-cut wooden frames, 6-1/2”x6-1/2”, two
- Paper flowers, in two styles, two each: 3”, 3-1/2”; 1-1/2”, pink, blue
- Fabric, scraps: tulle, 3” circles, four; pink chiffon, 1/2”x5-1/2”; blue flannel, 1/2”x5-1/2”
aluminum foil, newspaper and parchment paper (to cover work surface), scissors, ruler, foam paintbrush
- Script stamp
- Acrylic paints: Anita’s Espresso Bean, Princess Pink; Plaid FolkArt Jamaican Sea
- Ink pads: Imagine Crafts Tsukineko VersaMagic Sea Breeze, Ink It Up Pink
- Spray inks: Glimmer Mist Riptide, Imagine Crafts Tsukineko Cherry Blossom
- Acrylic roller or clay-dedicated rolling pin, clay knife, parchment-lined baking sheet, oven
- Eclectic Products E6000 Industrial Strength Adhesive
- 1. Cover work surface with newspaper. Paint both frames Espresso Bean, letting paint soak into and not build up on surface of wood. Let dry completely.
- 2. On parchment-covered work surface, mix 1-1/2 pkgs. of White clay with 1/2 pkg. of Blue clay for light blue clay color. Roll light blue clay to 1/3” thickness using acrylic roller; cut out 7”x7” square using ruler and clay knife. Press painted frame onto clay, being sure to push equally on all sections of frame so clay comes through openings evenly. Trim excess clay from outside and inside edges using clay knife. Repeat process with remaining White and Pink clays for other frame. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake both frames on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven for 10-15 minutes. Let cool completely.
- 3. For rattle, condition Brick Silver clay until soft and pliable. Form two 1-1/4” balls; flatten slightly on two opposite sides. Roll 1-1/2”-long Brick Silver log, about 1/3” thick for handle. Attach balls at each end of handle. (Note: Use aluminum foil under handle as support to hold in place during baking.) Roll 12”-long Brick Silver snake, about 1/16” thick; wrap around center of each ball and trim excess. Cut remaining snake into two strips; twist together gently and wrap around edges where rattle handle meets ball ends. Bake rattle in oven following manufacturer’s instructions. Let cool.
- 4. For spoon, roll 2”-long Brick Silver teardrop shape with one end 1/3” thick and other end 1/4” thick. Gently press flat; shape diamond at larger end, forming spoon handle. Roll 12”-long Brick Silver snake, about 1/16” thick; press along upper edges of spoon handle, curling and twisting design. Form 1/2” Brick Silver ball; flatten with thumb and press onto top of spoon. Attach top of spoon to smaller end of spoon handle; smooth seams together using fingertips. Bake in oven following manufacturer’s instructions. Let cool.
- 5. On newspaper-covered work surface, spray one 3-1/2” flower with Riptide ink and other 3-1/2” flower with Cherry Blossom ink; let dry. Using fingertips, dab Sea Breeze paint onto blue flower and Princess Pink paint onto pink flower. Let dry. Stamp one 3” flower with Pink ink and other 3” flower with Sea Breeze ink using script stamp; let dry.
- 6. Using photo as guide, layer coordinating-color flowers with one layer of tulle in between two larger flowers and one behind; adhere together. Adhere smallest flower onto top of flower grouping. Let dry.
- 7. Adhere layered flower to corner of frame. Tie coordinating-color fabric scrap around spoon or rattle as shown; adhere on top of flowers.
by Sue Pratt