Sewn Portable Changing Station
- Canvas, 3/4 yd.
- Cotton print fabrics: lining, 2/3 yd.; pocket, 1/4 yd.; changing pad, 1/2 yd.
- Cotton batting, 1 yd.
- Metal snaps, size 10, two
scissors, ruler, fabric marking pen or tool, straight pins, iron and pressing surface
- Sewing machine, denim machine needle, and matching thread
- Sewing needle and thread
- VELCRO Brand Soft & Flexible Sew On Fastener
- 1. Cut one each from canvas, lining, and batting fabrics: top flap, 12-1/2”x12”; back/bottom, 16”x12-1/2”; changing pad, 12-1/2”x26”. Cut two each from canvas, lining, and batting fabrics: sides, 5”x11”; front flaps, 11”x7”. Cut from canvas only: strap, 8”x55”; snap tabs, four 2-1/2”x8”. Cut 9”x12” pocket from cotton print fabric. Refer to Assembly Diagram for construction help throughout.
- 2. For changing pad, position canvas, lining, and batting fabric pieces together with right sides facing. Machine-sew together with 1/4” seam, leaving opening for turning. Trim fabric from corners and turn right side out; press. Hand-sew opening closed. Machine topstitch around all four sides 1/4” from edges. Machine-sew 11” length (of loop side) of sew-on fastener along short end on canvas side of changing pad.
- 3. For top flap, mark canvas with diagonal lines about 1” apart with fabric marking tool. Place marked canvas on matching batting piece; pin in place. Machine-sew along marked lines with alternating thread colors. Round two corners of 12-1/2” side of front canvas flap and cotton print lining. With right sides facing, machine-sew together with 1/4” seam around three sides, leaving opening on side without rounded corners. Trim excess fabric from curves. Turn right side out and press. Machine topstitch 1/4” from edge. Baste open edge closed.
- 4. For front flaps, measure down 2-1/2” from top right mark with fabric marking tool. Draw line from top left corner to mark using ruler. Cut along line. Repeat marking from bottom right corner. Layer fabrics and batting with right sides of fabric facing; machine-sew around three short sides of flap. Trim fabric from sewn corner. Turn right side out; press. Machine topstitch 1/4” from finished edge. Baste open edge closed. Repeat with second flap.
- 5. For side assembly, position finished front flaps on canvas and batting with canvas sides facing. Layer with right side of side lining piece facing lining of front flap piece; pin in place. Machine-sew 1/4” seam along raw side of flap and top of side piece. Trim fabric from corner and turn right side out. Press and topstitch around finished edges of side; baste open edge closed. Repeat with other side and flap pieces creating mirrored side.
- 6. For pocket, sew with right sides together along top edge of pocket. Turn right side out; press. Baste around three raw sides. Gather along bottom raw edge of pocket. Pin pocket bottom 5” from bottom of back/bottom lining; machine-sew in place. Fold pocket up, covering sewn edge. Create 1/2” pleat in bottom of pocket lining sides to lining edges; baste in place.
- 7. For body, pin side pieces 1/4” from top of back/bottom piece. Center top flap on back/bottom piece. Baste in place. Pin lining in place and machine-sew along bottom side, turning at corner, and sewing up side, across top, down side, and down other side, repeating corner turn leaving bottom edge open. Trim corners and turn right side out. Press.
- 8. For snaps, machine-sew two snap tabs together around three sides, leaving short end open for turning. Trim fabric from corner; turn right side out and press. Machine topstitch 1/4” from finished edge. Fold extra fabric from bottom inside; place snap tabs in opening 1-1/2” from side, leaving 6”. Stitch opening closed, securing snap tabs in place. Machine-sew 11” length (of hook side) of sew-on fastener along bottom edge.
- 9. For strap, press 2” along either long side of strap. Fold in half and press. Machine topstitch along either side at 1/8”. Fold end of strap up 2”; machine-sew in place on sides of bag.
- 10. Machine-sew snaps in place on snap tabs and in matching location on back side of top flap. Machine-sew strips of sew-on fastener in place on lining side of front flaps, matching location on canvas side of changing pad.
by Jennifer Davey