Appliqué Ornament Pillow
- Fairfield Soft Touch Pillow Insert, 14”x28”
- Polyform Sculpey III Oven-Bake Clay: Granny Smith, Red Hot Red
- White canvas cloth, 1/8 yd.
- Light green cotton fabric, 1 yd.
- Ribbon: red, 1/4 yd.; green, 1/4 yd.; red/white polka dot, 1/2 yd.; green/white polka dot, 1/2 yd.
- Clear acrylic rhinestones, 9mm
paintbrushes, cornstarch, newspaper (to cover work surface), iron and pressing surface, straight pins, scissors, rotary cutter and self-healing mat, craft knife
- Clay tools: texture plate of choice, pasta machine, acrylic roller, parchment-lined baking sheet, oven
- Sewing machine and thread
- Needles: tapestry, sewing
- Sizzix Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine and Dies: Tattered Flowers, Hearts, 1-1/2” Circle
- DecoArt So Soft Fabric Paints: Hauser Light Green, Red Pepper, White, Mocha, Pottery Brown; Shimmering Silver Dazzling Metallics
- Beacon Adhesives Gem-Tac Permanent Glue
- 1. Separate two segments of clay from package of Red Hot Red and condition with fingers or by running through pasta machine on thin setting until soft and pliable. Repeat with Granny Smith clay using one segment. Set pasta machine to 1/4” setting and run clay through machine to create squares that are approximately 3”x3”. Use paintbrush to dust texture plate lightly with cornstarch. Place clay on texture sheets and run roller over clay, pressing to create texture in clay. Use tapestry needle to pierce holes in center of each square (for button holes).
- 2. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake clay squares in oven on parchment-lined baking sheet. Remove from oven and let cool. When cool, place clay squares on dies and run through die-cutting machine creating two hearts, two circles, and one floral shape. Trim around edges if needed using craft knife.
- 3. Print out patterns onto copy paper. Cut patterns from canvas cloth.
- 4. On covered work surface, paint two shapes White, two shapes Red Pepper, and one shape Mocha. Use remaining paints to create patterns such as dots and swirls on shapes. Let dry. Press with iron.
- 5. Use rotary cutter and mat to cut two 15”x29” rectangles from green fabric. Cut ribbons to varying lengths of 8,” 10,” and 6”. Pin ribbons and ornaments in place on one rectangle using straight pins.
- 6. Machine-sew shapes and ribbons in place on pillow front. Tie ribbon bows; machine-sew to attach onto top of ornaments. Thread sewing needle with thread; sew buttons onto center of each ornament. Knot and clip thread ends.
- 7. Place rectangle right sides together and sew left, top, and right edges using 1/2” seam allowance. Leave bottom open for turning. Steam seams open with iron. Turn pillow right side out. Press on edges.
- 8. Insert pillow form; whipstitch opening closed. Adhere rhinestones to center of clay buttons. Let dry.
- 1. Substitute handmade clay buttons with ones purchased at your local craft or fabric store.
by Melony Miller Bradley