Snowman Cookie Platter
size: 11-1/2” diameter
- Wooden cookie platter, 11-1/2" diameter
ruler, transfer paper, pencil, sponge scrap, palette, fine sandpaper, tack cloth, container of water, paper towels, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- DecoArt Americana Multi-Surface Satin Paints: Black Tie, Lipstick, Pumpkin Patch, Canary, Cottonball, Coastal Waters, Lavender Fields, Eggplant; White Writer
- Dynasty Black Gold Paintbrushes: Filbert #4, Bright #4, Flat #6, Round #2
- DecoArt Duraclear Satin Varnish
- Sakura Micron Black Permanent Pen, size 05
- 1. Lightly sand surface of platter with fine sandpaper. Use tack cloth to remove dust. On covered work surface, paint entire surface with gesso using flat. Let dry. Sand until smooth; wipe dust with tack cloth.
- 2. Pour puddle of Cottonball, Coastal Waters, and Lavender Fields onto palette. Use sponge to dab into each color and paint inside bottom of platter in swirling motion. Let dry.
- 3. Use ruler to mark 1-1/2” and 1” spaces alternately around inside edges of platter. Paint 1” spaces Coastal Waters using bright. Let dry. Paint 1-1/2” spaces Lavender Fields using bright. Let dry. Paint back bottom and edge of platter Coastal Water using flat. Paint outer sides Lavender Fields. Paint top edges Lavender Fields using bright. Let dry. Apply coat of varnish to platter; let dry.
- 4. Print out pattern onto paper. Transfer snowman pattern to inside bottom of platter. Paint snowman body and head Cottonball using filbert. Add shadows with (1:1) mixture of Coastal Waters + Cottonball. Let dry.
- 5. Fill in candy cane Cottonball using round. Let dry. Use brush trip to stroke in candy cane strips Lipstick. Let dry.
- 6. Use #2 Round brush to Fill in carrot nose Pumpkin Patch using round. While still wet, use brush tip to stroke in Canary lines on carrot. Let dry.
- 7. Fill in hat Eggplant using round. Let dry. Add squiggly lines using Coastal Waters and tip of brush. Add Cottonball to tassel. Let dry.
- 8. Fill in scarf Lavender Fields using round. Let dry. Use tip of brush to dot scarf Eggplant. Let dry.
- 9. Fill in cookie plate Eggplant using round. Let dry. Use tip of brush to fill in cookies Canary. Let dry. Add icing using tip of brush and Cottonball.
- 10. Fill in boots Black Tie using round. When dry, highlight Cottonball. Let dry. Use tip of round and Black Tie to make coal buttons on tummy and smaller eye and mouth dots on face. Let dry.
- 11. Apply varnish to entire project using flat. Let dry.
- 12. Use permanent black pen to outline snowman, candy cane, hat, nose, and cookies. Draw in stick arms.
- 13. Use White Writer to make squiggle lines between colors on sides of platter. Let dry. Add dots of white as shown. Let dry.
- 14. Apply final coat of varnish using flat. Let dry.
- 1. To wash platter, use damp paper towel and kitchen cleaner to wipe free of food and crumbs. Do not soak in sink or wash in dishwasher.
by Sandy Rollinger