Vintage Snowman Decor
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam (Dow): Egg, 4”; Balls: 1”; 1-1/2”, two; 2-1/2”; Disc, 5”
- Creative Paperclay modeling compound (The Creative Paperclay Co.), 1 block
- Shimmering Silver Glitter Spray (Krylon)
- FolkArt Acrylic Paints (Plaid): Calico Red; Parchment; Black; Autumn Leaves
- Martha Stewart Crafts Antique Silver Glitter (EK Success)
- Wool Felt (National Nonwovens): Natural
- White cardstock
- Gold headed straight pins, two
- Tinsel trim
- Gold star
- Cream blush
- Crystal Clear Acrylic Spray (Krylon)
- Paintbrushes: flat; liner
- Decorative-edge scissors
- Craft knife
- Acrylic roller
- Fine-grit sandpaper
- Hold The Foam Adhesive (Beacon Adhesives)
- Aleene’s Matte Decoupage Medium (iLoveToCreate)
- Round toothpicks
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- 1. For snowman’s body, use toothpicks and glue to attach 1-1/2” ball to 2-1/2” ball. Use toothpicks and glue to attach balls to top of 4” egg.
- 2. Use marker to draw an arch at front of snowman. Use craft knife to cut along traced line. Use teaspoon to gently remove STYROFOAM for niche. Gently press STYROFOAM to smooth surface.
- 3. Use acrylic roller to roll modeling compound into thin sheets. Apply modeling compound onto entire body. For arms, roll two 2”-long clay logs, tapering one end of each roll into a slight point. Press arms onto body as shown. Wet fingers and smooth out all seams for a smooth surface. For nose, roll a pea-size amount of modeling compound and press onto face.
- 4. For small snowman, use toothpicks and glue to attach remaining balls. Use craft knife to cut 1/4” from back. Repeat step 1, covering balls with modeling compound.
- 5. Let all clay items dry.
- 6. Sand all surface of snowmen and wipe dust.
- 7. Use flat paintbrush to paint bodies Parchment and nose Calico Red. Use liner to dot mouth and eyes Black. Add tiny Parchment highlight dot to eyes.
- 8. Paint 1/2” of toothpick Autumn Leaves. When dry, insert painted toothpick into face of small snowman. Dot small snowman’s eyes and mouth Black, and buttons Calico Red. For scarf, tie a thin piece of natural felt around neck.
- 9. For hat, cut a 1”x12” strip from natural felt. Roll strip into cylinder, and secure with glue. Trace and cut a quarter-size circle from Natural felt. Glue circle to bottom of cylinder. Cut small circle and glue to top of cylinder. Glue hat to head. Cut 1/8”-wide strip from Natural felt and glue around hat for brim.
- 10. Use button thread to sew a gathering stitch along ribbon and place around snowman’s neck. Pull gathers tight; knot and clip thread.
- 11. Glue tinsel trim around waist and arch.
- 12. For buttons, insert gold straight pins onto front of snowman.
- 13. Hot glue gold star to top of arch and small snowman inside arch.
- 14. Apply decoupage medium to disc. While still wet, sprinkle with glitter and shake off excess. Let dry.
- 15. Trace disc onto card stock and cut out with decorative-edge scissors. Glue card stock to bottom of disc.
- 16. Use toothpicks and glue to secure snowman to center of disc.
- 17. Spray snowman with Crystal Clear Acrylic. While still wet, generously apply Diamond Dust. Spray snowman with Glitter Spray.
by Rebekah Meier for The Dow Chemical Co.