Stamped Balsam Sachet
- Linen (ironed flat), 1/8 yd.
- Felt (National Nonwovens): Green; Blue; Maroon
- Wool roving: green; white; brown; red; orange
- Balsam fir tips (www.VTBalsam.com)
- Leaf or pine stamps
- Staz On Ink Pad (Tsukineko): Black
- Off-white thread and sewing needle
- Pinking shears
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- 1. Working on a protected surface, spread out linen. Test stamp on scrap paper. Stamp linen, leaving enough fabric around each impression to create sachet.
- 2. Cut a 3-1/2”x5-1/2” rectangle around stamped image and a second rectangle of equal dimensions. With right sides facing, pin and machine sew rectangles together using a 1/4” seam allowance.
- 3. Pinch backing to separate it from stamped front, snip a 1-1/2” silt in center back. Turn sachet right side out. Starting with corners, fill sachet with dried balsam fir tips. Hand sew opening closed.
- 4. Create peppercorn-sized wool roving berries to accent stamped image. Hand sew berries to top of sachet.
- 5. Use pinking shears to cut a 3”x5” felt backing for sachet. Use small stitches to hand sew outside edges of linen sachet just inside felt edge.
by Heidi Boyd