Decorative Cardinal Jars
- Glass wide-mouth quart jars
- Wooden items: acorn finials, 2”, two; candle sticks, 1-7/8”x1-15/16”, two; circle, 2-1/2”
- Patterned papers: red; cream
- Colorfil Vase Filler (Garden Splendor): Colorfil Diamond
- Artificial cardinals, two
- Artificial berry sprigs: red; silver
- STYROFOAM brand foam Ball (Dow), 1-1/2”
- FolkArt Acrylic Paints (Plaid): Pure Black; Gunmetal Gray
- Crystal adhesive-backed rhinestones
- FolkArt Waterbased Varnish (Plaid)
- Simply Foam Stamps (Plaid): Fancy Alphabet
- Rubber Stamp (Stampabilities): Ornate Joy
- Black pigment ink pad
- Florist wire cutters
- Serrated knife
- 1. Paint jar lid, acorn finial and candlestick Pure Black and remaining set and circle Gunmetal Gray. Let dry. Dry brush black pieces with Gunmetal Gray and gray pieces with Pure Black. When dry, apply varnish. Line edges of circle with black.
- 2. For tall jar, cut 2”x12” strip from patterned paper and glue around jar, approximately 1-1/2” from bottom. Make sure cardinal and berries show through jar front. For shorter jar, cut 1-1/2”x12 strip from patterned paper. Stamp “joy” on center of strip. Glue stamped strip around jar, approximately 1” from bottom. Adhere gems around edges of paper strip. Stamp monogram initial on circle. Adhere gems to left and right of circle as shown. Place tall jar on side and glue circle to jar as shown.
- 3. Use serrated knife to cut foam ball in half. Trim berry sprays to desired length. Insert sprays into round halves of balls and remove. Apply glue to spray ends and reinsert into foam ball. Remove a berry from wire on spray and insert wire end into cardinal. Remove cardinal; apply glue and reinsert wire. Apply a generous amount of glue to bottom of ball and carefully place inside jar to secure. Fill bottom of jar with filler until foam ball is completely covered.
- 4. Glue acorn finial to jar lid and candlestick to bottom center of jar.
by Melony Bradley