Felt Owl Pillow
- National Nonwovens WoolFelt: Buttercream, 1 yd.; Hallow’s Eve, 1/4 yd.; Copper Canyon, Black, scraps
- Cotton fabric, in coordinating prints, scraps
- Fairfield Home Elegance Pillow Insert, 14” x 14”
- Acrylic crystal rhinestones, 9mm, two
straight pins, scissors, iron and pressing surface, sewing needle
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Rotary cutter and self-healing cutting mat
- Adhesives: Beacon Adhesives Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive, fusible webbing
- 1. Use rotary cutter and mat to cut two 15” squares from Buttercream felt for pillow front and back.
- 2. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to apply fusible webbing to Hallow’s Eve, Black, and Copper Canyon felt.
- 3. Print out patterns. Cut body, two wings, and two eyes from Hallow’s Eve fused-felt. Cut two pupils, two ears, and beak from Black fused-felt. Cut two eye circles from Copper fused-felt.
- 4. Using photo as guide, fuse pieces in place using iron and pressing surface on Buttercream square. Set aside beak for attachment in later step. Machine-sew pieces in place using straight stitch and contrasting thread.
- 5. Cut six 2”x12” print fabric strips. Machine-sew knife pleat down center of strips creating ruffles. Adhere ruffles on center of owl for feathers. Adhere rhinestones on eyes using fabric glue. Machine-sew beak onto top ruffle.
- 6. Using 1/2” seam allowance, machine-sew pillow front and back together with right sides out, leaving bottom side open. Insert pillow form into open side; hand-sew bottom closed using 1/2” seam allowance and running stitch. Knot and clip thread ends.
- 1. Raid your fabric stash for print scraps that are relatively no cost to you.
by Melony Miller Bradley