Needle Felted Snowmen
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam (Dow): Ball, 2”; Egg, 2-7/16”x11-3/16”
- Wool Roving (National Nonwovens): White; Maroon; Green; Blue; Black; Orange; Pink
- Wool felt or felted wool sweater scraps: teal; blue; red
- Uncoated black wire, 16-gauge
- Embroidery floss
- Crewel needle
- Pen-Style Needle Felting Tool (Clover Manufacturing)
- Chain-nose pliers
- Wire cutters
- Aleene’s 7800 Platinum Bond Glue (iLoveToCreate)
- 1. Cover both ball (head) and egg (body) with thin layer of white wool roving. Working over a protected surface, such as a rigid insulation scrap, needle felt roving directly into STYROFOAM until there is a compressed, even covering. Fill in any sparse areas with additional roving and needle felt in place.
- 2. Join head to body by poking needle around connection, then poking roving from head into body and roving from body into head.
- 3. Roll a tall tuque style hat from colored roving, using additional strands of roving to expand the base of the hat and wrap it around the snowman’s head. Needle felt the base of the hat directly into the snowman’s head. Needle felt the rest of the hat to compress it into a curvy shape with a pointed tip. For pom-pom, roll a small white roving ball and needle felt it to the tip.
- 4. For nose, roll a small orange carrot shape and cover with a thin layer of pink roving. Needle felt nose to compress fibers until it measures 3/4” long. Place nose on face and needle felt it’s base directly into head. Roll tiny black roving eyes and place them 1/2” apart above the nose. Place a tiny amount of pink roving on cheeks and needle felt it in place. Roll colored roving buttons and needle felt to body, 1/4” apart.
- 5. For arms, cut a 7” length from wire, insert it through the top third of body, leaving equal lengths extending from each side. Use chain nose pliers to shape wire ends into M-shaped hands.
- 6. Cut a 5/8”x10” scarf from wool felt, cut fringe at ends. Wrap scarf and needle felt scarf around neck.
- 7. For hanger, thread three strands of floss through needle, bring needle down through base of hat (avoiding STYROFOAM), then bring it back up and knot ends.
- 1. Attach snowmen to a roving colored STYROFOAM disc for a darling table decoration.
- 2. Wire snowmen to a wreath or garland.
by Heidi Boyd