Gingerbread Light Bulb Ornaments
size: 6” tall
- Lightbulbs, three
- Americana Acrylic Paints (DecoArt): Buttermilk; Cocoa; Espresso; Lamp Black; Rookwood Red; Sable Brown; Soft Black; Warm White; Brilliant Gold
- Flat metal spray paint or primer
- Twinklets Diamond Dust (FloraCraft)
- Muslin circles, 5-1/2”, three
- Gold thread
- Black Gold paintbrushes (Dynasty): Shaders, series 206S, #4, #10, #14; Flat Wash Glaze, Series 206FW, 3/4”; Chisel Blender, Series 206CB, #8; Round, Series 206R, #1, #5; Script Liner, Series 206SL, 10/0, #1; Mop, Decorator Series 400, 5/8”
- Sea sponge
- Cosmetic-wedge sponge
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam Block (Dow)
- Interior/Exterior Satin Varnish (DecoArt)
- Fine sanding sponges
- Sewing needle and thread
- Rubbing alcohol
- Wood glue
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- 1. Wash bulbs with rubbing alcohol. Let dry and apply one coat of primer. Let cure overnight. Use cosmetic-wedge sponge to basecoat bulbs Sable Brown. Let dry thoroughly.
- 2. On a wax palette, squirt out squiggles of Espresso, Buttermilk, Cocoa and Brilliant Gold. Dampen sea sponge and ring out all water. Dabble right into squiggles of paint and pounce on basecoat, creating a mottled look. Let dry thoroughly and sand down lightly to smooth. Print and cut out patterns. Transfer designs to bulbs.
- 3. For icing, float a shadow under icing with Soft Black. Basecoat icing and drips of Buttermilk.
- 4. For face, basecoat eyes Warm White, noses Rookwood Red, pupils Lamp Black and mouths Espresso. Dry brush cheeks Rookwood Red. Float whites of eyes with Espresso. Stroke on sparkle and dots in eyes with Warm White. Float a shade along the bottom of the nose in Soft Black. Dry brush a highlight on nose with Buttermilk. Add a comma stroke with Warm White. Outline eyes, eyebrows, eyelashes and mouth with Lamp Black.
- 5. Apply 2 to 3 coats of varnish. Apply a generous coat of glue on icing; sprinkle with Diamond Dust. Let cure.
- 6. For hats, whipstitch around circle, 1/8” from edge. Pull thread to gather to fit around bulb. Set aside. For band, cut three 2-1/4”x3-3/4” rectangles from fabric. Fold 3-1/2” side in half with right sides together and sew closed to form a band. Fold wrong sides together to form a smaller band. Hand sew band around circle with right sides together. Stitch in place to secure thread. Turn right side out. Hot glue hat to head. For hanger, thread needle with gold string, stitch through hat as shown and knot ends.
- 1. Use dry cosmetic-wedge sponge for basecoats and pounce on 1-2 coats. If bubbles appear, softly blow on them or tap sponge lightly over wet paint.
- 2. Use decorator or chisel blender for all dry brushing, wiping most of it off on a dry paper towel, and gently rubbing area until you are satisfied with the look.
- 3. Use #10, #14 or 3/4” flat for most floats, and soften all floats by gently pouncing mop brush over water’s edge.
- 4. Use 10/0 or #1 for all line work. Always thin paint to ink consistency and fully load liner. Always “blot” off tip on paper towel to remove excess to help “sharpen” the tip to a nice point.
- 5. Cut STYROFOAM to 2” square, then use hot knife to cut away circle in center. Use this to prop up light bulb while spraying and drying.
by Sue Beckerton