size: approx. 102”x10”
- Burlap fabric, 1-1/2 yds.
- Cotton fabrics: aqua blue, 1/4 yd.; multicolored striped fat quarters, four
- Blumenthal Lansing Favorite Findings Brown Buttons, 60
- Brown satin ribbon, 1/8”-wide, 4 yds.
- Ranger Tim Holtz Idea-ology Grunge Paper
- Yellow glittered cardstock
- Satin rattail cording, 4 yds.
- Thin jute cording
scissors, acrylic quilting ruler, rotary cutter, pencil, cardstock scrap, iron and pressing surface, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- Sizzix Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine and Dies: Twang Alphabet, Tiny Tabs & Tags, Lace Edging Decorative Strip, Button #4 Sizzlit
- Gold metallic paint
- Copper glitter glue
- Spray starch
- Adhesives: Beacon Adhesives Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive; Therm O Web HeatnBond UltraHold Iron-On Adhesive, 2 yds.
- 1. Spray burlap with spray starch; iron out wrinkles. Access pattern by selecting the info button near the main image, then select the pattern icon. Download and print pattern onto cardstock scrap. Trace and cut out 15 pennant shapes from burlap.
- 2. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse iron-on adhesive onto striped fabric. Use machine and alphabet dies to cut “Congratulations” from fused fabrics. Remove backing from letters and iron onto center of each pennant.
- 3. Die cut 30 small rounded tabs from Grunge paper. On covered work surface, paint each tab gold; let dry. Fold each tab in half; adhere two tabs onto top edge of each pennant, about 1” from each end, using fabric glue. Let dry.
- 4. Die cut three Lace Edging Decorative strips from aqua fabric for each pennant. Adhere strips along diagonal edges first using fabric glue. Let dry. Round ends on bottom using scissors. Adhere third strip along top edge using fabric glue; trim ends if needed. Let dry. Repeat process for remaining pennants.
- 5. Adhere brown ribbon along inner edges of lace edging; let dry. Repeat process for remaining pennants. Outline each letter with thin line of copper glitter glue. Let dry.
- 6. Die cut 52 flower buttons from yellow glittered cardstock. Position brown button on each die-cut button; insert jute twine through holes on button and tie bow on top. Trim twine ends. Adhere three buttons onto each flag at corners where lace edging and rick rack overlap. Adhere one button on each letter. Let dry.
- 7. String pennants onto rattail cording through folded tabs to hang.
- 1. Create another saying on the reverse of the banner for other occasions.
by Madeline Arendt