Christmas Cookie Mix Jars
- Recycled quart jar
- Wooden knob with hole, 1”
- Burlap in color of choice, 1/4 yd.
- Wool Felt (National Nonwovens): White; Cottage Red; Pink; Orange (scrap)
- 6-strand Embroidery Floss (DMC): Black (310); Red (321); Dark Orange Spice (720)
- Americana Acrylic Paints (DecoArt): Spa Blue; Hauser Light Green
- Flat-back buttons: dark blue (snowman); dark blue (snowman’s eyes), two; brown (Santa’s eyes), two; red (Santa’s nose)
- Kraft cardstock
- Red/white sheer polka dot ribbon, 7/8”, 1/2 yd.
- Natural jute, 1/2 yd.
- Assorted Christmas greenery
- Beaded hat pins
- Duraclear Varnish (DecoArt)
- Embroidery needle
- Sanding block
- Hole punch
- Paper trimmer
- Lite Steam a Seam (The Warm Co.)
- Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue (Duncan Enterprises)
- Iron and pressing board
- Computer and printer
- 1. Cut burlap to 6-1/2”x8” rectangle to fit around jar. Fringe long edges of jute rectangle.
- 2. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse wool felt to fusible webbing with iron. Print and cut out patterns. Transfer patterns to fused felt; cut out. For snowman, cut snowman from white, scarf from red and nose from orange. For Santa, cut Santa from red, face from pink, beard and hat cuff from white and hat from red. Fuse patterns to center of jute rectangle, using photo as guide. (Note: Layer Santa face over body, followed by beard piece and fuse in place.)
- 3. Thread embroidery needle with black thread and blanket stitch edges of all patterns. Use Orange for snowman nose and red for snowman scarf, Santa and Santa hat. Sew tiny button on for eyes. Place tacky glue on back of burlap and wrap around jar, securing at back.
- 4. Paint jar lids and knobs Spa Blue or Hauser Green. When lid is dry, lightly sand to distress. Apply varnish. Glue knob to top of jar.
- 5. Use computer to print recipe instructions on kraft cardstock; trim to tag shape with paper trimmer and punch hole at top. Cut 10” length from ribbon and loop into hole on tag. Cut 6” lengths from jute and use to tie tag with ribbon to neck of jar. Place beaded pins in ribbon knot and small pieces of assorted greenery. Remove lid, follow recipes to layer jar contents with a funnel and replace lid.
by Melony Bradley