Skeleton Key Treasure Necklace
- Antique brass chain (www.Vintaj.com), 24” length
- Vintage silk ribbon or seam binding, 6” length
- Antique (or reproduction) skeleton key
- Czech glass foil leaves, two (or an assortment of crystal beads and vintage jewelry bits)
- Antique brass toggle closure set
- Antique brass eye pins and head pins, 2” long
- Jump rings
- Pliers: round-nose; wire cutting
- 1. Determine desired necklace length. With two focal points, this necklace style benefits from a longer length, between 18” and 24” long. Use wire cutting pliers to separate or cut chain links to desired length.
- 2. Use roundnose pliers to open jump rings and attach toggle closure piece to each chain end. Tighten jump rings.
- 3. Use eye pin and simple wire wrapping technique to attach skeleton key to middle of chain link.
- 4. On either side of key, use eye pins or head pins as needed to affix vintage jewelry bits and glass leaves or crystal beads to chain.
- 5. From center of necklace and key pendant, measure approximately 6” up and attach glass foil leaf and vintage bauble.
- 6. Cut ribbon length in half. Tie one piece onto chain next to key pendant and remaining length 6” up where second, smaller focal pieces are affixed.
by Maryellen Kim