Exploring Image Transters: Tape Transformation
size: card, 6"x6"; pendant, approx. 2"x3-1/2"
- Images (choose one or more): glossy magazine or advertisement; patterned papers; toner-based printed image
- Cardstock: yellow; plum
- Inkssentials White Gloss Paper (Ranger)
- Sheer/metallic gold ribbon, 5/8”
- Wooden disc, 11-1/16” (Crafts, Etc!)
- Clear packing tape
- Jewelry findings: 2” eye pins; 9mm jump rings; oval bail and chain; assorted beads
- Stamps: Manuscript Background, Hearts Ink & Stamp Set (Hero Arts); Hopes & Dreams (Impression Obsession)
- Adirondack Acrylic Paint Dabbers (Ranger): Sandal; Red Pepper
- Ink pads (Ranger): Adirondack Red Pepper pigment; Adirondack Lemonade, Mountain Rose, Red Pepper and Currant dye; Archival Plum
- Perfect Pearls Pigments (Ranger): Heirloom Gold; Perfect Gold
- Inkssentials line (Ranger): Mini Mister; Heatit Craft Tool
- Paper Creaser (Ranger)
- Stippling brushes
- Jewelry tools: round-nose pliers; wire cutters; drill
- 1. Select image for transfer. Lighter images will be more transparent, revealing underlying surface; dark images will be more opaque.
- 2. Burnish packing tape over image with paper creaser. Overlap tape to provide complete coverage.
- 3. Spray back of paper with water mister. As paper softens, remove it a layer at a time by gently rubbing with fingers. Repeat until all paper backing is removed. Designer Tip: For thicker papers, score lightly with craft knife before misting with water. Let dry completely.
- 4. Apply Perfect Pearls to sticky underside of transfer using stippling brush. For a more distressed look, sand transfer or scrub with toothbrush. Apply heat to transfer for aged, distorted look.
- 5. For stamped transfers, stamp image paper before applying tape. For transparent image, stamp with watermark ink and heat set first.
- 1. Make 6”x6” plum card base. Cut 2-1/2”x5” glossy magazine image, 4-3/4” gloss cardstock square and 5” square gold mat.
- 2. Transfer image following general instructions. Scrub back of image with toothbrush. Apply pigment powders to back of tape.
- 3. Stipple dye inks over gloss paper. Stamp Plum sentiment; heat set.
- 4. Assemble card. Tie bow and adhere over transfer.
- 1. Follow general instructions to transfer 2” patterned paper square to clear packing tape.
- 2. Paint wooden disc Sandal; let dry. Stamp Red Pepper pigment script and heart across painted disc; heat set.
- 3. Burnish sticky side of transfer onto disc. Trim excess tape. Paint edge of circle with Red Pepper paint.
- 4. Thread beads onto eye pins. Close each pin with pliers by twisting wire ends into tiny circles; trim excess with wire cutters.
- 5. Drill three tiny holes across bottom of disc. Attach beads with jump rings. Adhere bail to back of pendant.
by Lynn Roberts