Scarecrow Wall Hanging
size: 10” diameter
- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam Disc, 10” diameter
- Polyform Premo! Sculpey Oven-Bake Clay: Cadmium Yellow Hue, Black, Beige, Turquoise, Raw Sienna, Orange, White
- Tan craft foam, 10” diameter circle
- Floral pins
- Floral wire or tan chenille stem
- Burlap, 1/4 yd.
- Raffia, small amount
scissors, toothpicks, ruler, plastic place mat and newspaper (to cover work surface), painter’s tape, container of water, paper towels, damp cloth, craft knife, flat paintbrush
- Polyform Sculpey Acrylic Roller
- Leaf cookie cutters: medium, large
- Parchment-lined baking sheet and oven
- DecoArt Americana Sable Brown Acrylic Paint
- Aleene’s Thick Designer Tacky Glue
- 1. Print and cut out pattern.
- 2. Working on plastic place mat, condition all clay until soft and pliable. Roll and flatten Beige clay on work surface to 1/4” thickness using acrylic roller. Place burlap scrap on clay and use roller to make impression in clay. Position head pattern on clay; cut out using craft knife. Position head on parchment-lined baking sheet and carefully make folds on neck area.
- 3. Roll Raw Sienna clay into 1/4” thickness and texture using burlap scrap; cut out six large leaf shapes using cookie cutter. Roll Orange clay to 1/4” thickness and texture using burlap scrap. Cut nine medium leaf shapes from clay. Use toothpick to make vein lines on all leaves. Position leaves on parchment-lined baking sheet. Gently roll up edges on leaves to add dimension.
- 4. Roll Yellow clay to 1/4” thickness and texture using burlap scrap. Cut out half circle using head pattern for hat. Cut 1”-wide clay strip for hat brim. Use knife to cut out fringe along one edge. Place small crumpled log of foil on baking sheet. Place hat shape on foil and brim on edge to create dimension.
- 5. Roll small ball of Orange clay for nose and texture using burlap scrap; cut 1”x1-1/2” triangle. Cut 3”-long Orange strip for mouth and two smaller strips for ends of mouth. Place both on baking sheet. Roll two White clay balls for eyes; slightly flatten. Roll two smaller Turquoise clay balls; flatten and press on White eyes. Roll two tiny Black clay balls; press on Turquoise eye balls. Add small specks of White clay on eyes to highlight.
- 6. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake all clay pieces in oven at 275º for 10 minutes. Let cool completely.
- 7. On newspaper-covered work surface, paint each clay piece (except for mouth and eyes) Sable Brown + touch of water. Paint one piece and wipe off immediately with damp cloth, leaving paint in textured areas on clay. Set aside to dry.
- 8. Cut 14”-diameter circle from burlap. Apply dots of glue to foam disc; press on burlap. Adhere burlap edges around to back of disc; hold in place using floral pins. Let dry. Cut several strands of raffia and twist together; adhere around edge of foam disc. Hold raffia in place using floral pins. Adhere 10” craft foam circle onto back of foam disc. Let dry.
- 9. Cut 6” wire or chenille stem length; curl ends. Adhere length onto center back of foam disc for hanger. Adhere craft foam scraps onto hanger ends to reinforce; let dry. Hold in place using painter’s tape if needed. Let dry several hours. Remove tape when completely dry.
- 10. Adhere clay leaves onto perimeter of foam disc. Adhere scarecrow’s head onto center of foam disc and hat and facial features onto head. Let dry.
- 11. Cut raffia strands and adhere under hat for hair. Let dry. Tie raffia length into bow; adhere onto chin. Let dry.
- 1. If floral pins are too long, cut ends using wire cutters.
by Sandy Rollinger