- Darice Nickle Hat Pin, 6"
- Polyform Sculpey Premo! Accents: Peacock Pearl Bright, Green Pearl, Blue Pearl
- Connie Crystal Raindrop, 20mm
- Swarovski Flat Back Peridot Rhinestones, 4mm
- Silver jump rings, two
- Felt scrap
cornstarch, aluminum foil, toothpick, scissors, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- Polyform Sculpey Flowers and Leaves Push Mold
- Needle-nose pliers
- Jacquard Lumiere Paints: Citrine, Pearlescent Turquoise
- Polyform Sculpey Bake & Bond
- Clay-dedicated rolling pin or pasta machine, parchment-lined baking sheet, oven
- Beacon Adhesives Gem-Tac Permanent Adhesive
- 1. Condition clay on clean work surface. Roll 4" clay ball with five parts Peacock Pearl Bright and one part Blue Pearl, blending clay until partially mixed.
- 2. Lightly dust mold with cornstarch. Press clay ball completely into mold. Remove excess clay so clay is flush with top of mold.
- 3. To release, gently push clay away from edge of mold toward center of molded piece. Repeat this step for each petal. Dust cornstarch in between molding each piece.
- 4. For base, cut 1" circle from clay. Position base on parchment-lined baking sheet. Apply Bake & Bond around edges of base; press flower petals onto base. Add small dollop of Bake & Bond on center of base; press flower securely onto base.
- 5. Roll thin Green Pearl rope; cut into five small lengths. Press lengths (stammen) onto center of flower.
- 6. Use toothpick to poke hole on bottom petal (for crystal attachment).
- 7. Roll small aluminum foil balls; position balls under petals for support when baking. Follow manufacturer's instructions to bake flower in oven on parchment-lined baking sheet. Let cool completely.
- 8. Use toothpick with gem glue to adhere Peridot rhinestones onto ends of stammen and randomly onto petals. Let dry.
- 9. On covered work surface, use paintbrush to lightly brush Citrine and Pearlescent Turquoise randomly onto petals. Let dry.
- 10. Attach jump ring onto finding onto raindrop crystal using needle-nose pliers. Attach other jump ring through hole on bottom petal; thread raindrop crystal jump ring onto jump ring and squeeze closed.
- 11. Cut felt circle same-size as back of flower. Position hat pin onto center of felt circle. Apply gem glue onto felt circle; press flower on felt over hat pin. Let set before wearing.
- 1. Using a mold helps to create a consistent petal shape. Do not overfill the molds or you will have a lot of sanding to do after baking. Dust the mold with cornstarch for easier release.
by Niki Meiners