- Felted sweater scraps: black; grey; light grey; lime
- 6-strand Embroidery Floss (DMC): grey; lime; black; pink; white
- Black thread
- Black buttons, 1”, two
- Velveteen button, 1/2”
- Fiberfill stuffing
- Needles: sewing; darning
- Optional: sewing machine and matching thread
- 1. Print and cut out patterns. Use body/head pattern to cut front and back piece from black or grey felted sweaters. Pin right sides together and stitch up one side around head and down other, stopping 1-1/2” from bottom edge, leaving room for tail and base of cat completely open. Trim excess fabric at ears and turn body right side out. Push stuffing up into both ears then fill remaining body areas.
- 2. Use pattern as guide to cut lighter shade stomach panel; pin to body. Thread darning needle with full strand of black floss and use decorative stitches to sew to body. If desired, cut small triangle inner ears and sew in place.
- 3. For large cat’s eyes, cut two 1-1/2” circles from felt. Use black floss to blanket stitch eyes to face. Use white floss to sew buttons to eyes. For small cat, use full strand of floss to sew two 1”-long diagonal closed eyes. For large cat’s nose, sew small scrap of light felt to face. For small cat’s nose, sew velveteen button to face. For mouths, use pink floss to sew 1/4” straight stitches as shown. For whiskers, sew 3”-long stitches on either side of faces as shown.
- 4. Cut two tail pieces from same color as body. Place right sides together, pin and machine stitch around edges, leaving end open. Trim sway excess fabric, turn tail right side out. Stuff tail and sew to body.
- 5. Use pattern to cut both base piece and feet same color as cat. Place right sides together and sew them together at paws. Trim excess fabric, turn right side out and stuff toes.
- 6. Invert cat and place stone in base, place base paw side down over opening. Hand sew base and tail to bottom of cat.
by Heidi Boyd