Vintage Pocket Ornament
stitched size: 4-1/4”x4-1/4”; stitch count: 53w x 53h
- Winter White 25-count Evenweave (DMC), 7”x7”, two
- Lining fabric, 6”x12”
- Cameo Heart (#112214) (Mill Hill)
- 6-strand Satin Embroidery Floss in colors listed on key (DMC)
- Ecru braid, 1/2”, 3/8 yd.
- Ecru beaded gimp trim, 1/4 yd.
- Iron-on interfacing, 7”x7”, two
- Tapestry needle, #24 (DMC)
- Sewing needle and matching thread
- Gem-Tac Permanent Adhesive (Beacon Adhesives)
- 1. To find center of Evenweave, fold in half and in half again opposite way. Mark center with contrasting thread.
- 2. Use two strands of satin to crossstitch and one strand Rosemary Green to backstitch design centered on one piece of Evenweave.
- 3. Apply iron-on interfacing to wrong side of stitching and remaining piece of Evenweave; trim to 6”x6”.
- 4. With right sides together, sew beaded trim to bottom edge of stitching.
- 5. With wrong sides together, sew front to back along sides and bottom edges for form pocket. Turn right side out. Press raw top edge under 1/4”.
- 6. Tack ends of braid over seams at top edge.
- 7. Fold lining in half, right sides together. Sew along side edges. Press raw edge under 1/2”.
- 8. Insert lining into pocket, wrong sides together. Tack lining to pocket around top edge.
- 9. Glue heart charm to center of stitching.
- 1. Use 1/4” seam allowance throughout.
by Lois Winston for The DMC Corporation