Altered SPOOKY Letters
Create a one-of-a-kind Halloween home décor piece by altering wooden letters embellished with die cuts, paper flowers, floral picks, glitter, pearls, and much more. It’s perfect for displaying on a mantle, bookshelf, or any other place in your home during the Halloween season.
- Wooden or papier-mâché letters, 4”x5": S, P, O, O, K, Y
- Bazzill Basics Cardstock: Black, Orange, White, Green
- My Mind’s Eye Wicked Collection 6”x6” Paper Pad or Halloween-themed paper of choice
- Prima Marketing Paper Flowers & Pearl Flourish
- Maya Road Vintage Pearl Trinket Pins
- Green chipboard letter stickers: m, a, g, i, c
- Foam bats
- Skull jewelry charm
- Halloween floral picks: spider, witch’s broomstick
- The Twinery Red/White Baker’s Twine
- Jute twine or string: ivory, black
- My Craft Spot Gray Seam Binding
- Black plastic-coated wire
- Wooden dowel, 3”
scissors, craft knife, pencil, sanding block, paintbrush, newspaper (to cover work surface), tiny hole punch, black marker
- Xyron 5" Creative Station with Permanent Adhesive
- Teresa Collins Adhesive Kit by Xyron
- Xyron Glue Stick For Corners
- Xyron 3/16" High Tack Adhesive Dots
- Xyron 3/8" High Tack Adhesive Dots
- Xyron 1/2" Double-Sided High Tack Tape
- Xyron 3” Sticker Maker
- Glue Gun
- Provo Craft Cricut Electronic Cutting Machine: Spider Web, Circle, Clouds, 31
- Dies: Sizzix Tim Holtz Sizzlits Decorative Strip Paper Rosette; My Craft Spot Tiny Banners and Toppers Metal Dies, Tiny Doilies Metal Dies, Ticket Metal Dies
- My Craft Spot Halloween-themed Stamp Sets
- Imagine Crafts Tsukineko Memento Ink Pads: Tuxedo Black, Tangelo
- Martha Stewart High Gloss Beetle Black Acrylic Paint
- Sakura White Gel Pen
- Martha Stewart Coarse Glitter: Crystal , Onyx
- 1. Size is 24"x5".
- SPOOKY Letters
- 1. On covered work surface, paint wooden letters Beetle Black. Apply two or three coats on letters for opaque coverage. Let dry completely.
- 2. Trace wooden letters onto desired combination of Wicked papers; cut out letters using sharp craft scissors.
- 3. Run traced letter cutouts through Xyron 5" Creative Station with Permanent Adhesive with desired patterned paper facing up. Peel off clear film and apply traced letter cutouts to wooden letters. Use sanding block to remove any excess patterned paper from edges of wooden letters if needed.
- 4. Cut spider web from Black cardstock using Cricut machine. Adhere web to wooden letter “S” as shown using Xyron 3/16" High Tack Adhesive Dots on web tips. Tie seam binding into small bow; trim ends. Using Xyron 3/8" High Tack Adhesive Dots, adhere bow and Prima Flower to center of web. Insert Pearl Trinket Pin behind bow. Adhere spider floral pick to web as shown with Clear Hold Adhesive from the Teresa Collins Adhesive Kit by Xyron.
- 5. Following manufacturer’s instructions and using photo as guide, create paper rosette from Green, Black, and White cardstock and Halloween-themed paper; stamp around outer edge of White cardstock rosette center with Black Halloween-themed sentiments. Tie black jute string into bow. Adhere bow and Prima Flower to rosette center using Xyron 3/16" High Tack Adhesive Dots. Adhere paper rosette to wooden letter “P” using Xyron 1/2" Double-Sided High Tack Tape. Die cut flag pennant from White cardstock; stamp “boo!” with Tangelo ink. Insert two Maya Road Vintage Pearl Trinket Pins and flag pennant behind rosette.
- 6. Die cut five small banners from mottled patterned paper and five slightly larger banners from black cardstock; mat together using Xyron 1/2" Double-Sided High Tack Tape. Adhere green letter stickers to banners to spell “magic”; highlight letters with White gel pen. Punch two holes at top of each banner and thread onto red/white twine. Hang banner across top of the first wooden letter “O” using Clear Hold Adhesive from Teresa Collins Adhesive Kit by Xyron. Die cut two tickets from Orange cardstock; stamp Tangelo border and Black Halloween sentiments. Cut number “31” from Black cardstock; highlight with White gel pen. Let dry. Embellish bottom of letter “O” with two ticket stubs and number “31” using tape runner and foam tape from Teresa Collins Adhesive Kit by Xyron. Adhere witch’s broomstick using Xyron 3/8" High Tack Adhesive Dots on top of number “31”.
- 7. Tie ivory jute string to spider floral pick and apply Xyron Glue Stick for Corners to string. (Note: Applying Glue Stick for Corners to jute string will help stiffen it, letting it adhere into looped shape.) Hang spider over top of second wooden letter “O”. Add Clear Hold Adhesive from Teresa Collins Adhesive Kit by Xyron if needed. Using Xyron 3/16" High Tack Adhesive Dots and Xyron 3/8" High Tack Adhesive Dots, create flower cluster on bottom edge of letter. Curl black plastic-coated wire around wooden dowel; remove dowel. Insert wire curls behind flower cluster using Xyron 3/16" High Tack Adhesive Dots.
- 8. Cut 1-1/2” circle from yellow paper and two small clouds from White cardstock. Highlight moon with White gel pen and clouds with black marker as shown. Run two small black foam bats and yellow circle through Xyron 3” Sticker Maker with Permanent Adhesive. Peel off clear film strip and sprinkle yellow circle with Crystal glitter and foam bats with Onyx glitter. Adhere circle to upper left side of wooden letter “K” with Xyron 1/2" Double-Sided High Tack Tape and adhere two small clouds using foam tape from Teresa Collins Adhesive Kit by Xyron over moon. Behind clouds, add foam bats adhered to curled black plastic-coated wire using glue gun.
- 9. Adhere Pearl Flourish and black rose to bottom of wooden letter “Y” using Xyron 3/8" High Tack Adhesive Dots. Cut two small fishtail flag pennants from same patterned paper as used for letter “P” using scissors. Tuck pennants behind black rose as shown and adhere using Xyron 1/2" Double-Sided High Tack Tape. Cut fishtail flag strip from mottled patterned paper; stamp black sentiment. Insert Pearl Trinket Pin embellished with flag sentiment strip and skull jewelry charm behind flower.
- 1. Apply the Xyron Glue Stick for Corners to a piece of jute or twine to stiffen the jute or twine, letting it take the shape you want.
by Marlene Gomez for Xyron, Inc