- Recycled plastic fruit cup
- Wooden craft stick
- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam Egg, 2-1/2”
- Creative Paperclay Delight Air-Dry Modeling Compound
- Black beads: pony; seed, two
- Orange ribbon
- Battery-operated tea light
scissors, ruler, pencil, newspaper (to cover work surface), plastic place mat, toothpick, paintbrushes
- Acrylic roller, old or promo credit card (for cutter)
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Glow in the Dark, Citron Green, Lamp Black, Wild Orchid, Saffron Yellow, Spicy Mustard; White Frost Glass Enamels; Ice Crystal Glamour Dust Glitter Paint
- Aleene’s Thick Designer Tacky Glue
- 1. Flatten large end of foam egg slightly. Adhere flattened end onto bottom of plastic fruit cup. Cut craft stick in half; apply glue to cut ends. Press cut ends into sides of foam egg. Let dry several hours. On covered work surface, paint outside of plastic cup White Frost. Let dry.
- 2. On clean work surface, roll and flatten clay onto plastic place mat. Use promo credit card to cut out 8”-diameter circle from clay. Apply dots of glue over foam egg and craft sticks. Gently drape clay circle over top of egg and craft stick (arms). Roll small oval shape for nose; adhere nose on front of ghost. Set aside to completely dry.
- 3. Roll 1/4”-wide log of clay and set aside to dry for one hour. Use scissors to cut “pillows” from clay. Cut enough to fit around base of cup. Set aside to dry.
- 4. Roll 3” cone shape from clay for hat. Curl pointed end. Roll and cut 2-1/2” diameter circle from clay sheet for hat brim. Adhere hat top onto center of brim. Curve brim. Place thumb under hat and gently press in to leave indentation. Set aside to dry.
- 5. Roll and flatten cone shape of clay for broom’s bristles. Use toothpick to make vertical lines on shape. Adhere toothpick down center of bristles. Roll small string of clay and adhere around end of “broom handle” using photo as guide. Set aside to dry.
- 6. Roll two small balls of clay for spiders. Roll eight skinny logs for spider legs for each spider; adhere on underside of each ball. Roll small oval shape for bat; pinch ears at one end. Roll and flatten small oval of clay; pinch points on one side for wings. Adhere wings onto back of bat. Set all aside to dry.
- 7. On newspaper-covered work surface, paint ghost body Glow in the Dark. Paint hat, bat, and half of pillow shapes Wild Orchid. Paint remainder of pillow shapes Saffron Yellow. Paint broom Spicy Mustard and spiders Lamp Black. Let dry.
- 8. When paint is completely dry, dot hat Saffron Yellow using handle end of paintbrush. Dot eyes on bat and spiders Saffron Yellow in same way. Let dry. Dot pupils on bat and spider Lamp Black. Let dry. Drybrush ghost’s body and nose Citron Green. Let dry.
- 9. Adhere hat, broom, spiders, and bat onto ghost. Adhere pillows, in alternating colors, around base of cup. Let dry. Apply Ice Crystal glitter paint using paintbrush on all clay pieces. Let dry.
- 10. Adhere pony bead (mouth) and seed beads (eyes) on face. Let dry. Tie knot on ribbon and adhere onto front of hat. Let dry. Place battery-operated tea light under cup.
- 1. For a fun place marker, place candy or small toys under cup instead of battery-operated tea light.
by Sandy Rollinger