size: 32”x38”x5” (base)
- FloraCraft Foam: Sheets, 1/2”x12”x36”, 1”x12”x36”; Cube, 5”x5”x5”
- Wooden dowel, 5/8” diameter, 18” length
- Metallic copper ribbon or solid paper
- Metallic gold gift wrap
- Cardstock, 12”x12”, several sheets
- Acrylic crystal drops, assorted sizes
- Gold wire ornament hooks
- Acrylic paints: metallic gold, bright gold
- Spray finishes: primer, clear sealer, copper paint
pencil, flat paintbrush, straight pins, ruler, scissors, paper towels, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- FloraCraft Make it: Fun Foam Cutter or serrated knife
- FloraCraft Make it: Fun StyroCutter
- Wire cutters
- Adhesives: low-temp glue gun and sticks, transparent tape
- 1. Hand-draw five or more stars, ranging from 2” to 12” wide at widest point, onto cardstock sheets. Cut out shapes to create star templates. (Note: Draw stars by hand to ensure unique appearance or search for free star templates online.)
- 2. Pin largest star template to 1”-thick foam sheet. Following manufacturer’s instructions, use StyroCutter to cut out star along edge of template. Hold blade at 90° angle to template to ensure straight, even edge. Cut out six stars of this size.
- 3. Arrange six large stars on work surface in long triangular shape with points touching. Place one star in center and other stars surrounding it to form triangular base. Using glue gun, adhere stars together. Carefully insert dowel rod 2” into bottom of center star. Spot glue dowel to secure. Adhere base stars together where points touch.
- 4. Repeat Step 2 to cut out eight each of two next largest stars. Adhere stars evenly spaced on top of base stars. Position stars so they help connect and secure base stars and fill in tree shape.
- 5. Repeat Step 2 to cut out 10 each of two smallest stars from 1/2”-thick foam sheet. Adhere stars wherever needed to fill in tree shape as shown.
- 6. Place tree on newspaper-covered work surface in well-ventilated area or outdoors. Basecoat entire tree, front, sides, and back, with light coats of primer to cover completely. Hold can at least 12” from foam and apply light coats to prevent foam from melting. Let dry.
- 7. Apply light, even coats of copper spray paint to entire tree to cover completely. Let dry. Spray entire tree with clear sealer; let dry.
- 8. Use drybrush technique to apply metallic gold acrylic paint to fronts of six largest base stars. To drybrush, dip flat paintbrush into paint and rub off excess onto paper towel. Using side of brush, lightly brush across stars, allowing some copper to show through. Let dry.
- 9. Using paintbrush, paint two smallest sizes of stars bright gold, leaving some stars copper. Let dry.
- 10. Wrap foam cube with gift wrap; adhere edges with transparent tape. Embellish cube with copper ribbon or strips of copper paper.
- 11. Cut small hole into top of cube and insert dowel. Remove dowel, add hot glue to hole, and reinsert dowel. Let set.
- 12. Use ornament hooks to embellish tree with crystal drops. Insert hooks directly into foam to hang drops from points of stars.
- 1. Reimagine this sparkling accent in shades of frosty blue and silver or your favorite holiday color scheme.
by Dondi Richardson for FloraCraft