Door Banner Series: Halloween
- Roc-Lon fabric, 12-1/2”x21-1/2”
- Wooden dowel, 3/4” diameter, 14” length
- Wooden dowel caps, 1-1/4”, two
- Black satin ribbon, 1 yd.
scissors, ruler, pencil, stylus, paper towels, container of water, tracing paper, graphite paper, painter’s tape, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- Creative Arts Lifestyle Travel by Broomstick Stencil
- Sewing machine and white thread
- Loew-Cornell La Corneille Golden Taklon Paintbrushes: Series 7550 Wash 3/4”; Series 7300 Angular Shader 1/2”; Series 7300C Shader #6; Series 247 Crescent 3/8”; Series 7050 Script 10/0, #2; Series 700 Script #2; Series 410 Deerfoot Stippler 1/4”; Series 270 Maxine’s Magic Mop 1/2”; stencil brush
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Avocado Dip, Burnt Orange, Cadmium Yellow, Graphite, Honey Brown, Lamp Black, Lemonade, Moon Yellow, Pansy Lavender, Plantation Pine, Royal Purple, Spiced Pumpkin, Summer Lilac, Tangerine, Warm White; Neons Torrid Orange, Thermal Green, Bleached Sand
- DecoArt Americana Duraclear Matte Varnish
- 1. Unless a specific brush is noted in instructions, use best brush available to fit area painting. When floating colors for shading or highlighting, use mop brush to soften floats.
- 1. For banner, measure and cut 12-1/2”x21-1/2” fabric rectangle. Position rectangle with wrong side facing up on work surface. Fold back fabric on top and bottom edges 1/2” to center; finger press. Fold top edge again 1-1/2”; finger press. (Note: The top edge will form casing for dowel to run through.) Use sewing machine and white thread to sew along folded top and bottom edges.
- 2. Print out patterns onto tracing paper.
- 3. Basecoat both sides of fabric rectangle with two coats of Bleached Sand. Let dry.
- 4. Measure 9” down from top and mark using pencil. Measure another 1” down and mark. Measure 3-1/2” down again and mark, then another 1” down and mark, leaving 4” area at bottom. On top 9” section, measure from left side over and mark at 9”, making 9” square at top with 3-1/2”x9” rectangle next to square.
- 5. Basecoat 9” square Graphite. Basecoat center section Pansy Lavender. Basecoat bottom 4” section Avocado Dip. Basecoat section to right of 9” square Avocado Dip. Let dry.
- 6. Paint each 1” Bleached Sand section with Lamp Black checks using #6 flat. Measure down 1/2” and draw light pencil line to keep checks straight and uniform. Let dry.
- 7. Use graphite paper to transfer main pattern lines onto each section.
- 8. Basecoat moon Moon Yellow. Let dry. Dampen surface of moon using 3/4” wash and float of Honey Brown on right side of moon, softening float with mop brush. Highlight left side of moon Warm White using same brush and technique. Let dry.
- 9. Basecoat ground, tree, and fence Lamp Black. Let dry. Basecoat stacked pumpkins Spiced Pumpkin and hat Lamp Black. Let dry. Basecoat hatband, bottom side of brim, and cape Pansy Lavender. Let dry.
- 10. Basecoat “B” and second “O” in word “BOO!” Spiced Pumpkin. Basecoat first “O” and “!” Avocado Dip. Let dry.
- 11. Basecoat candy corn on bottom section Warm White.
- 12. Use largest witch on Travel by Broomstick stencil to stencil design on center of moon Lamp Black using stencil brush. Let dry. Fill in any gaps Lamp Black. Remove stencil. Add Lamp Black “v”-shaped birds on moon using 10/0 liner. Let dry. Highlight right sides of witch, tree, and each fence post with light sideload of Pansy Lavender. Let dry.
- 13. Shade stacked pumpkins Burnt Orange. Highlight center of each segment with drybrush of Cadmium Yellow. Line segments with thinned Lamp Black; pull up some fine lines from bottom and pull down some lines from top on each pumpkin. Dot buttons Lamp Black. Let dry. Basecoat pumpkin’s mouth, nose, and eyes Lamp Black. Add depth on eyes, nose, and mouth with fine line of Tangerine using 10/0 liner. Let dry. Shade hat band and cape Royal Purple. Shade underneath hat brim Pansy Lavender. Let dry. Add Avocado Dip and Burnt Orange stripes to hat band and plaid lines to cape. Paint tie on cape Lamp Black by painting sideways figure-eight with two lines extending below. Highlight left side of hat and edge of hat brim with sideload of Pansy Lavender. Shade underneath stacked pumpkins Plantation Pine. Line pumpkins, cape, and hat with thinned Lamp Black using 10/0 liner. Let dry.
- 14. Shade Pumpkin Spice letters on “BOO!” on left side with Burnt Orange and highlight on right side with Tangerine. Let dry. Brighten highlight with sideload of Torrid Orange. Shade Avocado Dip letters on “BOO!” on left side with Plantation Pine and highlight on right side with Lemonade. Reinforce highlight with Thermal Green. Add Lamp Black dots on orange letters and Burnt Orange dots on green letters using large end of stylus. Let dry. Outline letters with thinned Lamp Black. Add Lamp Black cobwebs in upper left and lower right corners of section. Let dry.
- 15. Paint bottom third on candy corn Pumpkin Spice and center section on candy corn Moon Yellow. Pounce colors with deerfoot stippler so edges are ragged. Let dry. Shade left side of candy corn Honey Brown. Shade bottom third of candy corn Burnt Orange. Let dry. Drybrush Warm White on right side of candy corn. Add thin Warm White highlight line down center of candy corn. Let dry. Outline candy corn with double wavy Lamp Black lines using 10/0 liner. Let dry.
- 16. Add squiggly double lines around each section using thinned Lamp Black and 10/0 liner. Let dry. Using photo as guide, outline all design elements with Lamp Black. Let dry.
- 17. Paint wooden dowel Lamp Black and dowel caps Avocado Dip. Let dry. Transfer cobwebs on dowel caps. Paint cobwebs on dowel caps using Lamp Black and 10/0 liner. Let dry.
- 18. Apply varnish on dowel, dowel caps, and banner. Let dry. Insert dowel into pocket and attach dowel caps on either end. Attach black ribbon around ends of dowel to hang.
- 1. Mask off sections using painter’s tape when basecoating.
by Vera Collier