Punch Needle Valentine Boxes
- C&T Publishing Ready-to-Go! Blank Board Box Mini Shadow Boxes, 3-3/8”x3-3/8”x1-1/4”
- Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Spray Paint: Burgundy; Brushed Metallic Sesame Shimmer
- Weaver’s cloth, 1/2 yd.
- DMC 6-strand Embroidery Floss: Ecru; Garnet (816); Med. Golden Olive (831)
- Royal E-Z Rub-on Transfer Valentine’s Sentiments
- Patterned paper scraps
- Old book page
- Cream felt
- Pearl trim, 10” length
- Fairfield Processing Polyfil Fiberfill Stuffing
- Flat-back buttons
- Embroidery hoop, 10”
- Cameo Ultra Punch Needle and Threader
- Heavy-duty hole punch
- Foam brush
- Sanding block
- iLoveToCreate Aleene’s: Collage Pauge; Fabric Fusion
- 1. Spray paint box or lid Burgundy or Sesame Shimmer, alternating colors of paint.
- 2. Cut two 1/2”x3-1/4” strips and two 1/2”x2” strips from patterned paper. Use foam brush to decoupage papers to front of lid. Coat button with decoupage medium and place on wrong side of old book page. When dry, cut out and sand edges of paper even with button. Apply rub-on transfer to paper on lid.
- 3. Print and cut out pattern. Transfer design to weaver’s cloth, leaving 5” of fabric on all sides for hoop positioning. Slip pattern in embroidery hoop.
- 4. (Note: Use three strands of floss for all needle punch embroidery.) For large heart design, follow manufacturer’s instructions to thread needle punch tool with Garnet and fill in heart and edges. Thread needle punch tool with Ecru and fill in background. For small heart shape, thread needle punch tool with Med. Golden Olive and punch stems and leaves. Thread tool with Garnet and punch hearts on borders (flowers) and heart in center. Fill in background area with Ecru.
- 5. Trim around punched design, leaving 1/2” fabric on all sides. Place fabric glue on edges of muslin and glue to back of lid so design shows in center opening of box.
- 6. Cut 3-1/2” square from felt. Place a small bundle of fiberfill stuffing on back of design. Place glue on edges of felt and adhere to back of lid to hold stuffing in place. Hold in place for several minutes while drying. Glue button to motif as shown.
- 7. Punch holes in top of box approximately 2” apart for hanger. Place and glue ends of pearl trim inside holes.
by Melony Bradley