Burlap Heart Pouches
- Burlap, 1/4 yd.
- Beige script patterned fabric, 1/8 yd.
- National Nonwovens Cottage Red WoolFelt
- Jacquard Products Lumiere Super Sparkle Paint
- Kreinik Manufacturing White Fine Cord
- Beadalon Stainless Steel Wire, 20-gauge
- Black-edged rhinestone trim
- Pearl beads, 6mm
- Vintage buttons of choice: shank or flat back
pliers, iron and pressing board
- Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine (Sizzix)
- Bigz Die (Sizzix): Primitive Hearts
- Sizzix Textured Impressions Embossing Folder, Large Damask
- The Warm Co. Lite Steam-a-Seam
- Sewing needle
- Embroidery needle
- Sewing machine and matching threads
- iLoveToCreate Aleene’s: Liquid Fusion; Fabric Fusion
- 1. Cut 6”x9” burlap rectangle and 5”x9” beige print rectangle for each pouch. Fold beige piece in half to 2-1/2”-wide; press.
- 2. Pin raw edges of beige strip along top 9” edge of burlap piece. Sew together with 1/2” seams. Fold strip up; press.
- 3. Cut a 5-1/2”x6” piece of red felt. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse Steam a Seam webbing to backside. Die cut hearts from fused felt.
- 4. Emboss hearts with damask pattern. Lightly dry brush raised surface with Super Sparkle paint; let dry.
- 5. Follow manufacturer’s instructions and use photo as guide to fuse hearts to center of burlap, at least 3/4” from bottom edge.
- 6. Use two strands of white cord to backstitch heart edges. Hand sew shank buttons to heart centers, or use Liquid Fusion for flat-backed buttons. Stack multiple buttons to add interest.
- 7. Fold pouch fabric in half, right sides together. Sew open side and bottom edges with 1/2” seams. Turn pouch right side out. With side seam at center back, carefully press seams.
- 8. Cut 9” length of rhinestone trim and glue to seam between beige band and burlap.
- 9. For beaded handle, cut 14” wire length; bend one end to secure. Thread pearl beads onto wire. Insert wire ends through burlap at top, inside edge of bag on each side. Use pliers to curl wire ends to secure.
by Melony Bradley