Friendly Flamingo Card
- Cardstock or construction paper: white, light pink, bright pink, light blue, bright blue
- Black/white striped ribbon, 13” length
- Pink chenille stems, two
- Feathers: light pink, bright pink
- Wiggle eye
scissors, ruler, black marker
- Decorative-edge scissors
- Hole punch
- API Crafter’s Pick The Ultimate! Glue
- 1. Print and cut out patterns. Cut body from 5” folded light pink paper square.
- 2. For message inside body, cut body shape from 4” folded white paper square. Use decorative-edge scissors to trim message. Use black marker to write “YOU ARE SPECIAL!” inside. Adhere message inside folded body shape.
- 3. Use black marker to draw outline on head and color in beak. Adhere beak and wiggle eye on head.
- 4. Measure and cut one 4-1/2” length (neck) and two 6” lengths (legs) from pink chenille stem. Use hole punch to punch holes as indicated on body and head. Insert neck through hole on head; twist ends on back. Insert legs through holes on body; twist ends on back. Bend one leg upward.
- 5. For tag, measure and cut 1”x2-1/2” strip from white paper. Write “A big birdie told me. . .” on tag. Punch hole on tag. Measure and cut 13” ribbon length. Insert ribbon end through tag hole; tie bow around neck.
- 6. Adhere feathers on front of body.
- 7. For card backing, measure and cut 5”x11” rectangle from light blue paper and 2”x5” strip from bright blue paper (water). Use decorative-edge scissors to trim long edge of water. Adhere water along bottom of rectangle. Use black marker to draw outline around card backing and water. Adhere flamingo on center of rectangle.
- 8. Cut five tiny bright pink paper hearts. Adhere hearts around flamingo. Use black marker to draw details around hearts as shown in photo.
- 1. Cut pattern shapes from recycled manila file folder. Have kids trace and cut out shapes from paper.
by Mary Ayres