Autumn Family Tree
- FloraCraft Make It: Fun project featuring Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam Blocks, 5"x5"x5", two; Design It: SimpleStyle Natural Burlap Garland, 5”-wide, 2 yds.
- Avatrex Craft Attitude Inkjet Film, 8-1/2"x11", two
- Tree branch with twigs, approx. 22" tall
- Artificial autumn leaves, 2-3/4" long, approx. 13 (or number in family)
- Natural jute twine, 2 yds.
copy paper, old newspapers, cardboard box (for spraying paint)
- FloraCraft Design It: Floral Shears, Wire Cutter
- Elmer’s X-ACTO Designer Series: 6” Precision Tip Scissors, 12” Metal Ruler
- Design Master COLORTOOL Spray Color: Terra Cotta, Glossy Wood Tone
- Computer and inkjet printer
- Adhesives: Elmer's Multi-Purpose Spray Adhesive, glue gun and sticks
- 1. Stack one foam block on top of other and hot glue to adhere together. In well-ventilated, newspaper-covered area, spray foam block unit on all sides with two coats of Terra Cotta. To slightly darken, lightly spray block unit and branch with Glossy Wood Tone. Let dry.
- 2. Use wire cutter to cut and trim branch as needed. Push bottom of branch into top center of block unit, about 2"–3" deep. If loose, remove and hot glue.
- 3. Use floral shears to cut two 1 yd. lengths of burlap garland and jute twine. Vertically place one length of burlap garland on table. Horizontally cross other on top through center. Spot glue together to hold. Set block unit on center of burlap garland. Bring up two ends (on opposite sides) to top of block unit and finger gather at top to make nice folds around branch. Tie and knot center of one jute twine length around gathers, tightly against branch. Bring up other two sides and gather; knot with other jute twine length. (Note: Allow corners of block unit to show.) Gently fray burlap and jute edges.
- 4. Read Avatrex Craft Attitude package instructions. In computer Word document, type “Every leaf speaks bliss to me, fluttering from the autumn tree” and names of family members. Size and arrange copy text on page. (Note: Print on copy paper first to check size. Adjust if needed before printing on Attitude sheet.) Print mirror image onto glossy side of Attitude sheet. Use scissors to cut out names and saying. Detail cut letters with 1/8" border.
- 5. Remove green plastic stem/veins from backs of all leaves. In well-ventilated, newspaper-covered area or inside cardboard box, lightly spray printed side of Attitude words and names with spray adhesive. Position saying on front of burlap block and each name on leaf. Press firmly; remove backing sheet and smooth. Refer to photo to randomly hot glue base of each leaf to branch, pinching and gathering slightly for dimension.
- 1. Tailor this design to your students or scout troop to display in your classroom or at meetings.
for Craft Marketing Connections