Cardinals in the Snow
- Frosted round glass ornament
- Ribbon or hanger
rubbing alcohol, paper towels, stiff brush, stylus, chalk pencil, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Titanium White, Blue Chiffon, Cherry Red, Burnt Umber, Sable Brown, Light Mocha, Graphite, Wisteria
- Royal & Langnickel Paintbrushes: Series R2595 Liner 10/0, 18/0; Series R2160 Angular Shader 1/2”; Series 3250 Fusion Round #0
- DecoArt: Easy Float, Glamour Dust
- 1. Clean ornament with rubbing alcohol and let dry.
- 2. Generously load angular shader with Blue Chiffon; make sweeping strokes for distant hills. Swirl paint around bottom of ornament; add small amount of floating medium to help paint flow smoothly. Paint crisp Blue Chiffon lines at horizon. Let dry. Double-load Titanium White and Blue Chiffon on 1/2” angular shader; stroke hills. Let dry.
- 3. Highlight tops of snowdrifts Titanium White using round. Thin Wisteria and shade snowdrifts using shader.
- 4. With chalk pencil, mark off tree groups into thirds around ornament. Basecoat birch trees Titanium White using 10/0 liner. (Note: Place tallest tree inside snowdrift and three distant trees at horizon.) With thinned Titanium White, paint limbs and branches. Repeat two more times around ornament, connecting tree groupings.
- 5. Shade left side of each trunk and larger branches using thinned Graphite and 18/0 liner. Repeat if necessary to strengthen shade. Tap on bark on large birch tree using thinned mixture of Burnt Umber, Sable Brown, Graphite, and Light Mocha using liner. Use same mixture to paint small bushes near each group of trees. Tap berries on bushes using Cherry Red and stylus. Let dry.
- 6. Paint simple cardinal shapes on tree branches and ground Cherry Red using round.
- 7. Spatter ornament with thinned Titanium White using stiff brush. Dab Titanium White at base of trees using liner; while still wet, sprinkle with glitter. Shake off excess gently. Let dry.
- 8. Attach ribbon or hanger.
by Darlene Scott