Vintage Linen Tea Towels
- Pink or blue linen-look dishtowel (Wimpole Street Creations)
- Vintage linen with white background, 5” square
- Yellow single fold bias tape, 2-1/4 yds.
- Assorted white pearl flat buttons, 5/8”, four
- Medium blue jumbo rickrack, 3/4 yd.
- Sewing thread: white; pink; medium blue
- Sewing needle
- Straight pins
- Iron and pressing board
- Sewing machine and matching threads
- 1. Pin vintage linen square to center front of towel and baste close to edge of square. (Note: Bottom of square should be 2-3/4” up from bottom of towel.)
- 2. Extend lines around square to edges of towel, using pencil and ruler. Sew yellow single fold tape horizontally then vertically on top of lines, turning raw edges of tape under 1/4” at edges of towel and covering raw edges of linen square. (Note: Stitch close to both edges of tape.)
- 3. Sew rickrack across bottom front of towel close to edge on back side, turning raw edges under at sides.
- 4. Sew buttons to corners of vintage linen square on top of yellow tape, using pink or blue thread.
- 1. Instead of a tea towel, showcase vintage fabric scraps on pillows, aprons and totes.
by Mary Ayres