Witch Hat & Moon Wall Art
sizes: hat, 30”x36”x12”; moon, 12”x10”
- FloraCraft Make it: Fun Foam Sheet, 1”x12”x36”, two
- Black decorative mesh
- Black duct tape
- Copper lightweight metal embossing sheets
- Decorative wire: copper, black
- Glittered ribbon: black/orange, 2”-wide; sheer orange, 1/2”-wide
- Black glittered silk maple leaf branches
- Black glittered twigs
- Orange glittered leaf picks
- Acrylic rhinestones, assorted sizes: amber, clear
scissors, fishing line, straight pins, black marker, paintbrush, newspaper (to cover work surface), ruler or measuring tape
- FloraCraft Make it: Fun: StyroCutter Plus, Foam Cutter
- Silver acrylic paint
- Silver glitter
- Low-temp glue gun and sticks
- 1. Use black marker to draw curve of hat brim along 36” side of foam sheet. (Note: The center widest portion of the brim should be about 10” across.) In opposite remaining corners, draw sloping silhouettes of top portion of hat as shown. See Diagram. Cut hat pieces from foam using foam cutter. See Photo 1 and Photo 2. (see photos)
- 2. Build framing for hat by adhering two top portions of hat to back center of brim. Adhere at 90º angle to one another, angling out from center of brim as shown. See Photo 3. (see photos)
- 3. Cover entire hat with strips of black duct tape. Be sure to overlap tape for secure hold. Use top portion of hat frame as guide and fill in shape with strips of tape. See Photo 4. (see photos)
- 4. Cut 46” length of mesh and pin one edge along front edge of hat brim. Wrap mesh across top of hat brim. Use scissors to trim mesh around top of hat and at back edge of brim. Secure mesh in place with pins. See Photo 5. (see photos)
- 5. Gather end of black mesh together and pin it to hat base. Wrap mesh up hat, pinning as you go to hold. Leave about 6” tail of mesh hang from tip of hat. Insert 12” length of wire into tip of hat. Twist wire around 6” tail of mesh and create hook at end of wire to hang jewel as shown.
- 6. Adhere length of sheer orange ribbon across front of hat brim to conceal pins. See Photo 6. String jewels onto fishing line and hang from tip of hat with pins. (see photos)
- 7. Adhere length of 2” black/orange glitter ribbon around base of top of hat. Arrange branches, leaves, and twigs onto hat brim as shown and pin in place.
- 8. Draw large crescent moon shape onto other foam sheet with black marker. Draw several stars of different shapes and sizes on remainder of sheet. See Photo 7. Use StyroCutter Plus to cut out moon and stars. Hold blade at 90º angle to foam to ensure straight even edge. Be sure to follow package instructions carefully. (see photos)
- 9. Completely cover front and sides of moon with copper sheeting; adhere in place. Starting about 3” up from tip of moon, wrap coils of copper wire to cover all way to tip. Coil hook at tip to hold jewel. See Photo 8 and Photo 9. (see photos)
- 10. Paint stars with silver paint; while still wet, sprinkle with silver glitter. String jewels onto fishing line and pin to stars. Hang stars from hat brim using straight pins. Add glue to pins before inserting for secure hold.
- 1. For ease in cutting duct tape, clip end using scissors and then tear strip with fingers.
by Dondi Richardson for FloraCraft