Container Garden & Growth Journal
sizes: growth journal, 6"x10"; container garden, varies
- Recycled shirt box
- Recycled tin cans, various sizes
- Print papers, assorted colors and designs
- Ribbon, 12” length
- Potting soil
- Seed packets: pumpkin, bean, radish
- Craft sticks (for plant pokes)
- Double-sided tape
- Hole punch
- 1. For covers, measure and cut two 6”x10” rectangles from cardboard or recycled shirt box.
- 2. For each seed type, measure and cut ten 5”x8” rectangles to make inside pages. Use computer to print or marker to write the following on white copy paper pages:
- 3. Size: ___________________________ Shape: _________________________ Color: __________________________ Texture: ________________________ Other: __________________________
- 4. Leave some area blank for drawing the seed’s progress.
- 5. For cover, decorate cardboard covers with print papers. Adhere green print paper on cardboard rectangles. Cut 2” and 4” squares from various print papers. Adhere squares on cover.
- 6. Use black marker to write “My Plant Journal,” “sun,” “soil,” and “water” or draw designs on print paper squares.
- 7. Stack covers and inside pages, lining up top edges. Punch two holes, evenly spaced, along top edge.
- 8. Cut 12” ribbon length in half. Insert one length through each hole; tie knot.
- Container Garden
- 1. Wash and dry tin cans. Measure width and height of each can. Cut print paper rectangles to fit can measurements. Adhere rectangles around each can. (Make one can for three of the same seeds.)
- 2. Using tablespoon, fill each can with soil. Push finger down in soil creating three indentations. Put one seed (of the same plant) in each indentation. Cover with soil. Add water following seed packet instructions.
- 3. For plant pokes, use black marker to write plant name on each craft stick. Insert craft sticks into cans.
- 1. Loosely pack dirt around the seeds. If the dirt is too compact, water won’t easily reach the seeds and growth will be hampered.
by Meggan Maravich