Amazing Craft Stick Bracelets
size: 6"-7" long
- Jumbo wooden craft sticks
- Assorted pattern papers
- Jewelry chain
- Jewelry findings: jump rings, 16mm, three; lobster claw clasp
- Assorted buttons and adhesive-back rhinestones
scissors, paintbrush, pencil, nail file, stove pot, foam brush, assorted plastic cups
- Chain-nose pliers and wire cutters
- Hand drill and bit
- Rub-on transfers or stickers
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paint: Spa Blue, Razzleberry, Foliage Green
- DecoArt Duraclear Varnish
- Aleene's: Original Tacky Glue, Collage Pauge
- 1. Bring pot of water to boil on stove. Remove pot from stove and place on potholder. Insert craft sticks into pot. Let soak for 15 minutes. Drain water and let craft sticks cool.
- 2. With glasses or plastic cups set aside, patiently manipulate water-soaked craft sticks by gently bending stick. Work gently as wood will break if bent too quickly. As wood begins to bend, position craft stick inside glass or plastic cup, ensuring snug fit so stick bends into cup shape. Remove craft stick and position on wrist; adjust size if needed. Position back in glass or cup. Let craft sticks set overnight.
- 3. Trace one wooden un-soaked craft stick on wrong side of pattern paper. Cut out shape. Transfer rub-on sentiment onto right side of paper or press stickers along right side of paper.
- 4. Remove craft sticks from glasses. Paint one side of craft sticks Spa Blue, Razzleberry, or Foliage Green. Let dry. Paint other side of craft stick. When dry, coat with varnish.
- 5. Use foam brush and découpage medium to apply patterned paper to craft stick, smoothing out air bubbles as needed. Let dry and file paper even with wood using nail file.
- 6. Use hand drill to create two holes at left and right edges of wood.
- 7. Open jump ring with pliers and insert jump ring into drilled holes. Cut 4”-5” length of chain (according to size of child’s wrist) with wire cutters. Insert one end of chain into open jump ring and close. Repeat for remaining end, inserting lobster clasp on end for closure.
- 8. Use tacky glue to adhere buttons on bracelet. Press rhinestones along bracelet; spot glue to secure.
- 1. If creating with smaller kids, boil and bend craft sticks ahead of time and let kids paint and decorate so they aren’t using stovetop.
by Melony Bradley