Wedding Cake Card
- STAEDTLER-Mars FIMO Soft Clay, one block each: White, Black
- STAEDTLER-Mars FIMO Effect Glitter White, one block
- Blank white card, 5"x6-1/2"
- Cardstock: white glitter, black, cream pearlescent
- Blank note card
- Crystal gems, assorted sizes
paper trimmer, scissors, ruler, pencil, waxed paper, sewing needle
- STAEDTLER-Mars Acrylic Roller or household drinking glass
- Tiny flower punch or clay cutter
- Clay blades: rigid, flexible
- Parchment-lined baking sheet and oven
- Adhesives: paper adhesive, liquid glue
- 1. Preheat oven to 230°F. Line work surface with waxed paper.
- 2. Follow package directions to condition quarter-block of black clay; roll to 1/8" thickness. Use rigid clay blade to cut 1-3/8"x3/4" rectangle from clay.
- 3. Condition and roll quarter-block of white clay to 1/16" thickness. Press black rectangle on top of clay. Trim around edges of rectangle.
- 4. Re-roll black clay to 3/32" thickness. Press stacked rectangle on top of clay; trim around edges.
- 5. Continue alternating colors, rolling clay to different thickness each time until stacked rectangle is about 1-1/8" tall; see Photo 1. (see photos)
- 6. Use clay blade to trim down one long side of stack to neaten edge. Cut two 3/32"-thick slices from neat edge and place flat on note card so edges butt together and continue alternating, vertical color pattern. Gently roll across surface of both pieces to ensure slices are same thickness; see Photo 2. (see photos)
- 7. Use flexible clay blade to cut gentle curve along top and bottom edges of clay piece to create three-dimensional look.
- 8. Repeat Step 5 to create second cake layer. Reduce width by a quarter and curve top and bottom edges. Slide rigid blade under panel and position above first layer. Create top layer from a single slice cut from striped stack; see Photo 3. (see photos)
- 9. Condition and roll a small amount of white glitter clay to 1/32" thickness. Use flexible clay blade to cut curved, 1/8"-wide strips. Place strips over seams between cake layers, trimming ends. Carefully transfer note card to baking sheet.
- 10. Roll scraps of black and white glitter clay into very thin sheets. Place clay in the mouth of small flower punch and depress lever, holding it down while removing clay flower from bottom of punch with needle or fingernail. Alternatively, cut thin flowers from clay using small metal cutter. Punch a total of five black flowers and 10 white flowers.
- 11. Layer some flowers together and gently place on both sides of cake. Place single flowers next to double blooms. Gently curl petals and press gem into center. Place smaller gems onto curved glitter strips.
- 12. Bake clay in oven for 30 minutes; remove clay and let cool completely. Use rigid clay blade to remove clay from baking sheet.
- 13. Cut cream cardstock panel slightly larger than clay cake. Double mat panel on black and glitter cardstock as shown. Adhere panel to card, slightly above center. Adhere three gems below layered panel. Glue cake to card; let dry.
- 1. Try using a pencil eraser to gently push gems into the clay flowers to avoid slipping or leaving fingerprints.
for STAEDTLER-Mars Limited