Pieced Vintage Heart
- Rose/red/brown fabric strips, 1-1/4"x6", eight
- Coordinating fabric (backing), 6"x6-1/2"
- Cotton cord, 10” length
- White/off-white ribbon, 12" lengths, six
- Vintage lace, 2-1/2", 4" length
- Assorted coordinating buttons
- Fiberfill stuffing or lavender
- Sewing needle and off-white thread
- Straight pins
- Iron and pressing board
- 1. Sew seams together with right sides facing, using a 1/4" seam allowance, pinning and pressing as needed. Tea dye ribbon and cord for an aged look.
- 1. Sew 1-1/4"x6" strips together to make a 6"x6-1/2" rectangle. Print and cut out pattern. Cut heart shapes from pieced rectangle and backing fabric. Sew heart shapes together, leaving a 2" opening on one side for turning. Turn heart right side out through opening. Stuff with fiberfill or lavender. Hand sew opening closed.
- 2. Sew a basting stitch lengthwise through center of lace. Pull stitches to gather lace; knot. Turn raw edges of lace under and stitch together to make a gathered circle. Sew assorted buttons to center and around edges of gathered lace circle. Sew assembled lace circle to right side of heart.
- 3. For ribbon tassel, cut six 12" lengths from wrinkled tea dyed ribbon. Sew ribbon pieces together in center. Fold ribbon pieces at center. Wrap thread around folded ribbon pieces several times and knot so tassel holds it's shape. Sew folded end of tassel to bottom of heart. Sew assorted buttons to bottom of heart to cover end of tassel.
- 4. Knot cord ends. Sew cord ends and buttons to top of heart on both sides for hanger.
by Mary Ayres