Autumn Sock Owls
size: 6” tall
- Child’s sock, in color of choice
- Recycled toilet paper tube
- Felt, scraps: orange; colors of choice
- Fiberfill stuffing
- Wiggle eyes, two
- Fabric glue
- 1. For each owl, stuff toe of sock with fiberfill stuffing. Insert toilet paper tube into sock (for body).
- 2. For tummy, gently stuff sock on toilet paper tube, creating round stomach area. Add fiberfill stuffing (if needed) so owl stands upright.
- 3. Print out patterns.
- 4. Adhere feet onto bottom of body and wings onto sides of body.
- 5. For feathers, cut 1/2” squares from felt in colors of choice. Use scissors to round edges. Adhere feathers on body.
- 6. For forehead, cut 3” triangle from felt. For beak, cut 2” orange felt triangle. For cheeks, cut two 2” ovals from felt. Adhere forehead, beak, and cheeks on face. Adhere eyes on sides of beak.
- 1. Use these easy-to-make owls as teaching aids in your classroom. They can double as puppets by inserting fingers into bottom of sock!
by Catherine A. Winn