Kitchen Panel Curtains
size: 30”x30” panel (fits standard 36” window)
- Cotton fabric, 10-3/4” squares: assorted yellow prints, 13; white, five
- White cotton lining, 30-3/4” squares, two
- Yellow jumbo rick rack, 2 yds.
- White embroidery floss, 1 skein
paper plate, straight pins, iron and pressing board, foam applicator or sponge scrap, newspaper (to cover work surface), ruler or measuring tape, pressing cloth
- Flower foam stamp
- DecoArt Americana: Yellow Ochre Acrylic Paint; Fabric Painting Medium
- Sewing machine and white thread
- Needles: embroidery, sewing
- 1. On covered work surface, pour paint on paper plate. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to mix paint with Fabric Painting Medium. Use foam applicator to dab paint onto stamp. Stamp flowers evenly spaced onto white squares. (Note: To prevent smudging, press stamp down firmly and then lift straight up.) Let dry. Heat set paint with iron using pressing cloth to cover painted areas.
- 2. Arrange fabric squares in two groups of three across and three down, separating shades and patterns. With right sides of fabric facing, use 3/8” seam allowance to sew squares together, making two 30-3/4” pieced squares. (Note: For ease in construction, sew squares together to form rows first, then sew rows together to form square.)
- 3. Pin rick rack across bottom of pieced squares, 3” from bottom edge. Use three strands floss to embroider blanket stitch over rick rack.
- 4. With right sides of fabric facing, use 3/8” seam allowance to sew pieced squares to lining squares, leaving 1-1/2” opening at top of both sides for rod pocket and 6” opening for turning. Trim corners at angle and turn right side out. Hand sew opening closed. Press assembled curtains.
- 5. For rod pockets, sew across top of curtains, 1/8” and 1-1/2” from top edge. Insert café or spring tension rod through rod pocket on curtains and hang across window, adjusting fabric gathers evenly.
- 1. Stamping on white squares is optional. Instead, purchase a yellow large-print fabric for added contrast.
by Mary Ayres