Autumn Harvest Wreath
- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam Half-Round Wreath, 12”
- Recycled green plastic grocery bags, five
- Faux gourds, six
- Silk flowers, three
- Dried floral sprays
- Floral wire, 4”
- Wooden skewers, two
- Wire cutters
- Thick craft glue
- 1. Cut plastic bags into 3” squares, cutting around printing/advertisements as much as possible.
- 2. Apply dot of glue on wreath. Fold plastic square into quarters. Place folded point on top of glue dot. Push point directly into wreath using blunt end of wooden skewer. Repeat process, adding plastic square every 3/4” and covering about one-fourth of wreath.
- 3. Beginning with first square, gently pull apart folded square so that it opens and fills in space. Continue process, filling and fluffing wreath in quarter sections. Once wreath is fully covered, add additional plastic squares to fill in empty spots. Let dry.
- 4. Break wooden skewers into 3” lengths. Insert wood skewer into faux gourd and remove; spot glue and insert again. Trim skewer to 1-1/2” length with point at end. Insert other end of skewer into wreath, adhering with glue. Repeat process to adhere remaining gourds.
- 5. Trim flower stems to 1-1/2”; insert into wreath and adhere ends. Trim dried floral stems; adhere to wreath around flowers and gourds.
- 6. For hanger, use wire cutters to cut length of floral wire. Twist wire into loop. Insert ends into top back of wreath; adhere using glue. Let dry.
- 1. By waiting a few minutes to fluff plastic squares, the glue gets a chance to set and can better hold squares in place.
by Kathleen George for The Dow Chemical Company