Wool Felt Pie Carrier
Mmmmm! You’ve just baked one of your luscious homemade pies and need to transport it to a special event. Your dessert will be a stand-out when you deliver it in style in this colorful, eye-catching pie carrier.
- Wool felt: bright pink, 3/8 yd.; black, 3/8 yd.; light brown, turquoise, light gold, med. gold and white scraps
- Brown flat buttons, 9/16”, six
- 6-strand embroidery floss: bright blue, 2 skeins; black
scissors, straight pins, pencil, transfer paper
- Embroidery needle
- Beacon Adhesives Fabric-Tac Permanent Adhesive
- 1. Size is 12-1/2”.
- 1. Put a few dabs of glue under felt pieces to temporarily adhere them to felt circles in place of pins, if desired. Use three strands of floss for all embroidery.
- Pie Carrier
- 1. Print and cut out patterns. Cut: 12-1/2” circle and six 1”x3” strips from pink felt; two 12-1/2” circles and one half of a 12-1/2” circle from black felt; top of pie shape from brown felt, cutting out slits; bottom of pie shape from white felt; “PIE” lettering from light gold felt; 3/8”x10-3/4” strip (pie crust) from medium gold felt; seven 1/2”x2-3/4” strips from turquoise felt.
- 2. For top of carrier, pin or adhere black half circle to pink circle with round edges even. Use photo as guide to pin or adhere white and brown pie pieces, and lettering to top of carrier.
- 3. Use blue floss to blanket stitch around outside edges of pie, including slits in top, and over straight edge of black circle. Stem stitch around “PIE” letters close to edges.
- 4. Pin or adhere turquoise strips across white pie shape with center strip straight and outside strips angled outward. Trim ends of turquoise strips even with white edges of pie. Pin or glue gold crust strip across top of white pie shape, covering cut edges.
- 5. Use black floss to single feather stitch over gold crust strip, and blue floss to straight stitch through center of turquoise strips.
- 6. Transfer “homemade” centered above pie. Use black floss to stem stitch letters.
- 7. Pin pink and both black circles together with front side of pink circle facing out. (Note: There will be three layers: one pink and two black.) Use blue floss to blanket stitch around edges of circles to join them, leaving 14” opening at bottom. (Note: Center opening under “PIE” letters.) Blanket stitch over open edge of top of carrier separately; blanket stitch open edges of both bottom pieces of carrier together.
- 8. For buttonholes, cut 1/2” slits in pink strips, 1/2” from one end. Stack strips together in pairs with slits lined up. Use blue floss to blanket stitch over edges of strip pairs to join them.
- 9. Wrap embroidered strips over edge of carrier, centered under “PIE”, and on both sides of pie. Use blue floss to sew buttons to strips on bottom of carrier to attach them with buttonhole on opposite end. Sew buttons to top of carrier, matching them up with buttons on bottom. (Note: Do not sew buttons through strips on top.)
- 10. Insert pie into carrier. Wrap pink strips over edge of carrier and button strips.
by Mary Ayres