Butterfly Beverage Cooler
Keep drinks ice cold and refreshing while you give your summer party décor a boost with this bright and stylish beverage cooler.
- Galvanized 5-1/2-gallon oblong tub (available at Lowe’s)
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: White Wash; Citron Green; Pumpkin; Bahama Blue; Calypso Blue; Dark Chocolate
scissors, transfer paper, pencil
- Royal & Langnickel Paintbrushes: White Taklon: Liner, Series 599, #1; Shader, Series 159, #6; White Bristle: Angular Sash, Series 985, 2”
- Decoart Americana Sealers: Multi-Purpose; Acrylic Sealer/Finisher Spray, Matte
- Masking tape
- 1. Place tape around top and bottom tub rims. Apply Multi-Purpose Sealer on side of tub. Let dry.
- 2. Paint side of tub (on top of sealer) several coats Bahama Blue, letting dry between coats.
- 3. Print and cut out pattern. Transfer butterflies to tub. Paint wings Calypso Blue and bodies Dark Chocolate. Let dry
- 4. Transfer details. Paint: center of top flowers on wings Pumpkin; center of bottom flowers Citron Green; flower petals White Wash; antennae and details lines on wings Dark Chocolate.
- 5. Using Dark Chocolate, paint small dots along antennae lines, long lines on wings, and around edges of wings. Paint large dots at ends of antennae, long lines on wings, center of flowers, tips of flowers, and two on top of body. Let dry.
- 6. Spray sealer on side of tub to protect finish. Remove tape
- 1. To paint dots, dip end of paintbrush handle into paint, then dab on tub. Repeat for each dot to make them all the same size. Use end of large brush handle for large dots and small brush handle for small dots
by Mary Ayres