Spooky Directional Sign
A directional sign in your entryway guides you to a ghoulishly good time. Cut and paint foam sheets to look like weathered road signs – it’s spine-chillingly simple with FloraCraft® foam!
- FloraCraft Make it: Fun Foam: Sheet, 1”x12”x36”; Cube, 5”x5"
- Spanish moss
- Spider webbing
- Spiders, two
- Large container or basket
fine-tip black marker, ruler, paintbrush, wooden craft sticks, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- FloraCraft Make it: Fun Foam Cutter or serrated knife
- Acrylic paints: black, green, orange, purple
- Fabric paints: white, orange, purple
- Low-temp glue gun and sticks
- 1. Size is 36”x20” (without container).
- 1. Use foam cutter or serrated knife to cut foam sheet into four 3”x36” boards. Set aside one board for signpost. From remaining boards, cut one each of following lengths: 20”, 18”, 17”, 16”, 13”. Cuts need not be straight; crookedness adds to rustic look. Cut one end of each board into point. Cut grooves into opposite end of each board for weathered, broken appearance. Use knife to randomly shave away crisp foam edges so boards appear smooth and worn in some areas.
- 2. Paint all boards black; let dry. Using photo as guide, paint 20”, 17”, and 13” boards orange, green, and purple respectively, letting some black show through. Let dry.
- 3. Arrange boards smallest to largest as shown, pointing ends in desired directions. Use fabric paints to write road names onto boards; let dry.
- 4. Use glue gun to adhere boards to signpost at irregular angles.
- 5. Use glue gun to adhere foam cube into bottom of container. Apply glue to ends of wooden craft sticks and push halfway into bottom of signpost. Apply glue to opposite ends of craft sticks and push into foam cube. Apply additional glue along seam between foam pieces.
- 6. Cover top of container with Spanish moss to conceal foam. Stretch spider webs over sign and container; add spiders as shown.
- 1. If cutting foam with serrated knife, wax blade with bar soap or old candle for easier cutting.
by Dondi Richardson for FloraCraft